Let the water run as you're brushing your teeth ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We pay about 0.5 cents/litre, which really adds up over a 3-month billing period, so I use as little water as possible. Also, the electric toothbrush is on a 2-minute cycle, so that's a lot of water wasted if left running.

Well just don't brush your teeth, think of all the water saved over the years (as well as toothpaste and toothbrushes).

I turn it on, get the brush wet, turn it off, put toothpaste on, brush, spit, mouthwash, spit then rinse the sink and toothbrush.
I never thought of leaving the water on.
As for the temp, get a single handle faucet. Love it in my shower, I just pull it on and it is at the last temp I had it at, no fiddling with it to get it right.

Originally Posted By: Garak
In this case, I'm as nuts as you for the comfort, but I turn it off while brushing.

When I was living on the USS Tripoli, they switched us over to push button hand held shower nozzles that would shut off when you let go of the button, but the officers got to keep their regular showers. One day I got busted for using the shower room on the officer's deck.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Noey
I also bet you're paradoxically one of those guys who recommends longer OCI's and using the oil filter for 2 OCI's, right?

I think you're wrong there. I've heard rumors that Merk considers a 5k OCI pushing it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
When I was living on the USS Tripoli, they switched us over to push button hand held shower nozzles that would shut off when you let go of the button, but the officers got to keep their regular showers.

We had camping showers like that, too, or believe it or not, pay showers!

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Why do you need hot water to brush your teeth?

If your water is hot enough, it kills the germs on your tooth brush when you rinse it off...

I never let water run unnecessarily. People are so wasteful of a reserve that's slowly being consumed faster than what's being delivered. These are the same people that can give two-poops about recycling also.

My neighbor is one of those types. Just yesterday he fertilized his lawn. But there's more granules on my driveway - his driveway and his walkway, then what's on his lawn. Rotary spreaders waste so much product because 75% of the people walking behind them can't figure out where the product sprays. Plus, they are such a waste in my neighborhood, where lots are pretty small.

I use a drop spreader - waste absolutely nothing and it only takes me an additional 10 minutes to do it, versus his same-sized lot.

Last edited:
It's interesting that we can have a pro water conservation thread and a pro commuter pick up truck thread on the same forum. We ARE a group with great diversity. I guess we are entitled to waste only some resources?
smile.gif

Where I live there is no actual water waste to letting the water run other than the power for the treatment plant and a higher bill for me.Even the water you flush with.

Water is sucked in from Lake St. Clair to the plant in Detroit, to my house,down the drain back to the treatment plant, and dumps back in to the lake.

Watering grass is probably more of a waste although that water probably finds it way back into the supply over the long term.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
When I let the water run as I'm brushing my teeth, I feel guilt and anxiety. Some may say: "Why not just turn the water off then?" Because I've got the hot and cold adjusted the way I want it and I'm too lazy to go through the trouble of dialing it in again. What about you guys; do you find yourself afflicted by this dilemma ?

Use this prebrush rinse and you won't need to wet your toothbrush.

https://thrivemarket.com/essentialoxygen-organic-brushing-rinse

I let mine run all the time. Takes too long to warm up! I need hot water to soften up the brush, I HATE brushing with cold water. But I don't look at it as wasting water, as I have well water, no other houses in the near area, and it rains plenty. I would think twice maybe in some form of drought though.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: supton
I dunno, my well pumps water from one corner of the yard, and it all eventually gets dumped into another corner.

Only a small percentage of water from the surface works its way down to the water table. I can assure you that about zero percent of the water that hits the surface or even the water in your drain field works its way to the water table.

water in underground supply = valuable resource. Surface water = no resource.

I worked as a well driller helper and on the planning commission I did a lot of study of water resources and water table data.

I'm not sure that this would apply to me. I live next to a large lake along with a few hundred other homes. It's about 60 feet above sea level. My well water level is anywhere from 10 to 18 feet below the ground level. The basement has seen water about a dozen or so times in 25 years. I would think the water on the surface or even the drain field makes it to the water table only a few feet lower. The well levels vary proportional to the levels in the lake.

As far as brushing my teeth, I use a dab of tooth paste and a few drops of water to wet the toothbrush. Once done, I rinse. If your tooth brush is hard before you wet it, just massage it on your molars. It will soften up. If it's still "too hard" it's probably old or not a "soft" brush to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back