High mileage oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the suggesting to switch to a high mileage oil at 75K an over sell just like changing oil at 3K miles?

My 4Runner is just over 150K miles and I consider it just broken-in. I would never consider a high mileage oil which such a new engine. The oil level on the dipstick does not move between oil changes. The only maintenance done so far had been oil changes and a timing belt/water pump/coolant change/brake fluid exchange/spark plug replacement at 100K miles. Oh, and a few air filters, too. And don't forget, one battery this year for my 2003 vehicle.

High mileage oil? Not a chance.

Probably discussed a zillion times, but yes, I agree with your assessment. HM oil is not needed just because x miles flip on the odometer. My last vehicle had 160K on it and I was using 0W-20.

It's not really all marketing, some engines start to form extra deposits and seal leaks around that mileage, the high mileage oils with extra detergents and seal conditioners help counter act this.

If you take care of an engine with a high quality oil at a reasonable interval you are helping to prevent this, especially if you're using a good synthetic which won't let deposits form as easily

Marketing works. Lie to the people enough and they will believe anything the TV tells them.

I am calling B..S that's it all marketing. If it were all marketing, and the high mileage oils did not contain extra cleaning, anti-wear, and seal additives, there would be major class action lawsuits. I don't think these oil companies are that dumb. Do you?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Marketing works. Lie to the people enough and they will believe anything the TV tells them.

Or that something some random person posts to an Internet discussion board.

Originally Posted By: Carbon12
It's not like a HM oil will hurt anything either.

my Malibu didn't need it but it seems to love PHM

Many HM oils pass modern certifications. They are good oils with a little extra goodness mixed in for the same price or just a little bit more. Buy them if it makes you feel good, no harm will come to anyone who uses them.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I am calling B..S that's it all marketing. If it were all marketing, and the high mileage oils did not contain extra cleaning, anti-wear, and seal additives, there would be major class action lawsuits. I don't think these oil companies are that dumb. Do you?

Exactly. You can go to the copious VOAs and see precisely some of the additives. It isn't snake oil they are adding. You can also check the manufacturer's PDS's and see the different viscosity vs. non-HM oils.

Most of the major's syns price them identically so it seems a waste to not use the extra protection you can get for free.

Last edited:
Still the question, why 75K miles. Is this because so many people abuse and mistreat their vehicles and 75K is an expected milestone for expected lubrication problems?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Still the question, why 75K miles. Is this because so many people abuse and mistreat their vehicles and 75K is an expected milestone for expected lubrication problems?

It is a leftover from the days when many cars did not make it much past 100k without very conservative and attentive maintenance.

As for HM oil, my car loves the Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic High Mileage oil. I use it for the seal conditioners more than anything. It has not started leaking, but at 9 years old and 120k, I use it an more a preventative leak measure.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
many people don't keep their cars past 100k miles. So 75k might be high for them, where it's just broken in for us here.

Last edited:
I quit using high mileage oil. There's only so much room in a quart of oil. The space being occupied by high mileage additives could otherwise be utilized for lubricative properties.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I quit using high mileage oil. There's only so much room in a quart of oil. The space being occupied by high mileage additives could otherwise be utilized for lubricative properties.

You tell me that you're not "backing me up" any more, and yet you post stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back