Favorite BMW LL-01 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a favorite, but a heads up. Sadly I think Mobil 1 0w40 no longer lists the cert (I've seen this mentioned in other threads, just wanted to mention it). I'm sure the new stuff is still pretty good, but its worth noting.

"old" 0w40 formula on the left, "new" on the right.

5zyxwYZ.jpg

5zyxwYZ.jpg

Originally Posted By: Olas
Do you mean stuff that is on BMWs own list?

Most folks dont have access to this list. If you do, please share a link.

I have to wonder if BMW-LL01 is going extinct soon. The other approval that got dropped (Chrysler) was already ancient and for whatever reason Mobil doesn't seem to care about meeting its replacement, even though it would easily pass.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I have to wonder if BMW-LL01 is going extinct soon. The other approval that got dropped (Chrysler) was already ancient and for whatever reason Mobil doesn't seem to care about meeting its replacement, even though it would easily pass.

Thats good to hear. I think its tough seeing something lose certs, rather than gain new ones. But if like you say the certs are outdated anyway, it probably doesnt matter. I picked up 2 of the "older" 0w40s a couple weeks ago, then just got 2 "new" ones to use the mobil rebate with. I plan on doing UOAs with both, but I dont know if it will show much difference.

LL-04 is a low-SAPS spec for diesels, but I suppose it could be used in modern gasoline engine as well if gasoline quality is appropriate (ultra low sulfur).

But yeah, I too expect that the BMW specs are changing and the old stuff will lose its relevance.

I've switched the fleet to German-made Castrol 0W-40 since Mobil 1 no longer has the cert. I'm sure it's still a fine oil, but OEM certs are all we have to tell us what the oil will and won't do.

LL04 is BMW's diesel specification.

I wanted to add that when BMW releases a new specification that replaces LL01 and is suitable for applications originally requiring LL01, I will switch. Until then, vehicles that require LL01, well, require LL01.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
I thought that a newer standard BMW LL-04 had replaced it in the rest of the world - but not here for some reason.

I've never seen BMW literature that shows LL-04 replacing LL-01, do you have any links?

Our two BMWs grew up on, and lived their lives on German Castrol 0W-30 (now Belgium). I briefly tried Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, and later Liqui-Moly 5W-40 Leichtlauf HT. But just this weekend switched both the BMWs back on Castrol; this time 0W-40 (German).

Scott

LL-04 is low saps version...and can be used for both gasoline and diesel engines...dunno from wich year onwards...

My favourite LL-01 is Shell helix ultra 5w40

A friends 2011 Mini Cooper calls for LL-01 5w-30, any reason I couldn't use LL-04 5w-30? Looking at using AMSOIL's European oil AEL

Originally Posted By: Rat407
A friends 2011 Mini Cooper calls for LL-01 5w-30, any reason I couldn't use LL-04 5w-30? Looking at using AMSOIL's European oil AEL

If you're sticking to factory recommended OCI (which is about 10K miles, right?), then an LL-04 oil might have a hard time making it this long due to weaker add pack.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I thought that a newer standard BMW LL-04 had replaced it in the rest of the world - but not here for some reason.

I've never seen BMW literature that shows LL-04 replacing LL-01, do you have any links?

It did in Europe. Most of the BMWs and MINIs use LL-04. Also, much of the other manufacturers use C oils for petrols too which are base spec for LL-04.

Fuel quality and better fuel trimming makes it possible, even with 30k OCI. It has been discussed before. There is a requirement that TWC last for life, and low phosphorus level in C oils helps protect catalyst.

Sold my last Beemer a while back... But I never understood why a car this expensive with the regular high RPM thrashing it gets should not be babied with a 5K oil change... If it was my car, it'd get changed at 5K with a Porsche A40 listed oil
smile.gif

Last edited:
OK sorry, I misunderstood then. So Europe (or other regions with suitable fuels) specify Longlife-04 exclusively in their manual?

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: kschachn

It did in Europe. Most of the BMWs and MINIs use LL-04. Also, much of the other manufacturers use C oils for petrols too which are base spec for LL-04.

Fuel quality and better fuel trimming makes it possible, even with 30k OCI. It has been discussed before. There is a requirement that TWC last for life, and low phosphorus level in C oils helps protect catalyst.

I believe so. Friends Cooper S and Cooper vulgaris both spec LL-04. Cars are first series (04-05). E90 cars spec LL-04 in EU too. I think BMW made switch in 04, and other followed after.
There are few oddballs' like MB 229.5 petrol spec, and Ferrari /Maserati specification which are still old formulas (regarding SAPS content).
I've never really looked at 229.51 spec and if MB allows it for use in petrols with low sulphur fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back