OBDI question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did OBDI monitor evaporative emissions system also? Some looking around indicates no.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
OBD1 varies widely among manufacturers so, maybe, but maybe not. Need more details.

No other details, I'm afraid. Just curious. Next car might be OBDI, dunno. I think the OEM's could put whatever they wanted onto it, might not been much of a standard.

I have never seen a OBD1 car have gas tank pressure/vacuum sensors.

Even when OBD2 rolled out, Not all vehicles monitored the EVAP & set trouble codes.

My old '98 5.7L C2500 Chevy didn't monitor the EVAP or Catalytic Convertors even tough it had the sensors to do so. I am pretty sure it was GVWR dependent.

I just pulled out the manual for a 1987 Caprice I used to drive. For the V-8s (carbureted), canister purge solenoid is listed as a "controlled device." Fuel vapor canister and fuel vapor canister valve are "not ECM connected."

For the V-6 (throttle body injected), fuel vapor canister and fuel vapor canister solenoid are "controlled devices." Neither system has the EVAP system listed under information sensors.

Strange this topic came up today as I am having a similar issue...and I don't mean to hijack the thread....but, Can a high quality scanner/diagnostic tool actuate the canister valve? Vehicle is a 2006 Nissan V6.

If they did monitor it it was likely part of "field research" in 1994-1995 or so to see if there was anything to learn by 1996.

GM for example had a horrible "OBD 1.5" around then that's rough getting a scan tool to fit.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
Strange this topic came up today as I am having a similar issue...and I don't mean to hijack the thread....but, Can a high quality scanner/diagnostic tool actuate the canister valve? Vehicle is a 2006 Nissan V6.

I'd think so, but really don't have a clue. Not being rude but you'll get more responses if you start a new thread--you have an OBDII system and people who know the answer are going to skip over this OBDI thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back