took my 351W to the machine shop last Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
after a very difficult search trying to find the "right" machine shop (it's surprising how many wont call you back or follow up with you) - took my 351W to a shop in Wisconsin last Friday. they will clean, magnaflux, inspect, and measure; and contact me later this week. final decisions have not been made, but in conversations last week, it sounds like we are headed towards the following: stroker crank, Mahle forged pistons, edelbrock intake, quick fuel carburetor, AFR cylinder heads.

Good call on all fronts. Mahle pistons are very nice, a friend that builds sprint car engines swears by them. He was able to have barely any blow-by while making 850+hp from 3,000 to 8500+rpm while being able to spin the rotating assembly with less than 10 ft-lb of pressure. AFR heads are the current go-to in the small block Ford camp. Quick fuel carbs are real nice, they seemed to have gained a lot of popularity once the Barry Grant Demons became unobtainium. Not a real fan of Edelbrock, but they make nice intakes.

Now all you need is a 6-71 and some spray
smile.gif

yes, the engine came out of, and will go back into the 1970 Cougar. the old engine needed freshening. of course, the "straw" was a leaking core plug - and this will be a very expensive core plug replacement! as far as a blower and putting the baby on a bottle.... hmmmm.... however tempting - I think that will wait a while! of course, all I have to go is watch "Fast and Furious" and it psych's me up to get the wallet out! "not a bad way to spend 10 grand.... " (it's a quote from the first movie...)

I also already have my next project truck waiting - 1984 F150 4x4 I300

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
yes, the engine came out of, and will go back into the 1970 Cougar. the old engine needed freshening. of course, the "straw" was a leaking core plug - and this will be a very expensive core plug replacement! as far as a blower and putting the baby on a bottle.... hmmmm.... however tempting - I think that will wait a while! of course, all I have to go is watch "Fast and Furious" and it psych's me up to get the wallet out! "not a bad way to spend 10 grand.... " (it's a quote from the first movie...)

I also already have my next project truck waiting - 1984 F150 4x4 I300
Blowers will always be cool. Do it!

Well really if he's going with good pistons and a stroker crank he will be having it balanced.. I mean why wouldn't that happen?

Last edited:
If you feel like going a bit unconventional in the cylinder head department, Kaase's P38 Windsor heads are making some pretty stout HP claims.

don's in Kenosha. They recommend a Bullet can. I will get specifics on the cam stats later this week. Yes on balancing. I'm getting new pistons regardless and the crank needed grinding because its scored and it was pretty heavy into the main bearnings - so stroking t is not adding a lot to the cost. kaase heads are awesome. I asked about them. Most people agree that they are great for high rpm and racing but not so much for street use. Does anyone have info on street use?

i have seen people buy all the best performance engine parts and not have the engine balanced.. Although that is always a big mistake some try to cut corners.

don's in Kenosha. They recommend a Bullet can. I will get specifics on the cam stats later this week. Yes on balancing. I'm getting new pistons regardless and the crank needed grinding because its scored and it was pretty heavy into the main bearnings - so stroking t is not adding a lot to the cost. kaase heads are awesome. I asked about them. Most people agree that they are great for high rpm and racing but not so much for street use. Does anyone have info on street use?

From what they have on their website about the P38 heads, it looks like it was a street/strip motor they put them on. The intake is more strip, being a single plane, but the cam was supposedly mild (solid lifer I bet)and it was a 9 to 1 compression motor. I am sure you could email and ask them for more details.

"Equipped with Kaase P-38 cylinder heads, a modest camshaft, and an Edelbrock Junior intake, the 302, running on pump fuel and barely 9:1 compression ratio, easily generates 500hp @ 7500rpm."

I was just on the phone with Bullet Cams yesterday. I spoke with Mark for 30 minutes. He seems to be very knowledgeable about engine dynamics which is good because my application is not terribly common. I mean when was the last time you saw an Eaton blower, intercooled, on a slant six?

408 with the AFR's is a great setup. I wouldn't pick an intake until you talk to your cam grinder, they will advise you on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back