Pirelli P4 Plus vs Altimax RT 43 vs True Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,

I didnt made my decision yet, I saw a sale on the Pirelli p4 all season plus and they are very well rated in Tire rack, and the true contact is on the top of the list.

I am now tempting for the pirelli p4 + or the True Contact.

I do lots of highway and I want comfort, good handling and hydroplaning resistance.

I would like to see your opinions.

Thanks!

I've owned the P4s before and they were by far the worst tires I've owned. Very noisy, not great in rain or snow and towards the end of its life a very annoying humming sound on highways. I refuse to own any Pirelli's.

Tru contact hands down. Had them on my 2010 impala and they were amazing in the rain and snow also being very quiet. I plan on getting a set for my malibu's when the factory continental pro contacts wear out.

General is Continentals budget brand. I'd get the Continentals assuming they may be a better tire. The General Altima RT 43 gets a lot of love on bitog, too much in my opinion. So unless they owned all three sets of tires on the same vehicle and the suspension didn't wear any, they can't say.

I have P4 and the Altimax on different cars and had the Conti on a previous one.
Go with the P7 AS plus, it is superior to all of them and a huge improvement over the P4.

on a small car(like my old neon), the P4's are Great when new, when worn, I don't really know, I only owned them for year/9k mi before selling the car.

I put P7's on my old Sonata and loved 'em. Put P4's on the Neon, Loved 'em. Sable came with a mixed set of P6+'s(2 age/mi unk, 2 were new when i bought the car), were great for the first 2 years/16k mi, but by then the older 2 were up front for the winter(just the way the rotations worked out), and i was having traction issues in the wet this spring.
until recently, I would have gone with another set of P6's, it was a no-brainer. but around 6 mo ago, Pirelli took a ~7Billion Euro Buyout From ChinaChem, the Chinese State owned Chemincal company, giving them a 65% stake in Pirelli. No More Pirelli's for me.

I went with Cooper CS5 Ultra's. Cooper is a local company, and my Tires were made in Tupelo, MS, and purchased from a Locally owned Tire Shop. (all the Pirelli's I've had have been made in Brazil)

What Size/Speed Rating are we talking?

Last edited:
I've had a set of RT43s on my Camry for 7 months/13,500 miles. They're very quiet and smooth and the wet traction is fantastic. However, they are not a sporty tire. If you're looking for something that will make your car handle like a Porsche, they aren't for you. But, my car is like a potato on wheels, or a couch on wheels. It's a Camry. Handling isn't it's best suit in the first place.

Also put a set of RT43s on the 1970 VW Beetle, and a set on my moms 2012 Jeep Patriot.

I'd go for Cooper CS5 Ultras as well.

I put 110k on a set of P4's on a Subaru Forester and they had quite a few thousand good miles left when i sold it. Never had an issue with them.

I used to recommend Pirelli but I cannot recommend them anymore. I am actually having to file a warrant in debt against them to get my money back for a warranty exchange. I was unfortunate enough to receive two out of round Pirelli P7 A/S Plus tires before finally getting a usable replacement.

Based off of recent(2/16 and ongoing) personal experience with Pirelli, if you buy tires from them be prepared to have zero warranty support. If you get a defective tire you will likely responsible for 100% of the replacement cost.

I've had great luck with RT43s.

I have been doing a lot of research for when my terrain needs tires (not yet.) I am leaning towards the Contis personally. Their reviews are good and they appear to be a good all season tire that offers four season traction and yield a smooth/quiet ride.

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
I used to recommend Pirelli but I cannot recommend them anymore. I am actually having to file a warrant in debt against them to get my money back for a warranty exchange. I was unfortunate enough to receive two out of round Pirelli P7 A/S Plus tires before finally getting a usable replacement.

Based off of recent(2/16 and ongoing) personal experience with Pirelli, if you buy tires from them be prepared to have zero warranty support. If you get a defective tire you will likely responsible for 100% of the replacement cost.

I've had great luck with RT43s.
How do you know any other tire manufacturer wouldn't have been just as difficult?

I'm not the one you are asking but I have had zero hassles getting warranty issues handled with Cooper and Bridgestone.

the size, for those who were asking is 215 60 R16, its a pretty standard size.

Also the True Contact is only available in the V rated in my area.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I'm not the one you are asking but I have had zero hassles getting warranty issues handled with Cooper and Bridgestone.
I think one of the problems, is he lives in the middle of nowhere

I have the rt43's on my sonata... like them and no problems. I ran pirellis a few times on the accord and they were ok but treadlife was HORRIBLE. even wear, but so fast that dtc exchanged them---and pirelli quit making them... you'll like the conti's or rt43's

I have about 60K to 70K on a set of P4s on our Saturn, no issues, I like them but wouldn't get them again. I have P7s on our Cobalt, like them. Personally I'd go with the P7s or CS5s for your Cruze based on my experience, that's my plan for ours when we need tires.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: badtlc
I think one of the problems, is he lives in the middle of nowhere

I do not live in the middle of nowhere, I live in Northern Virginia, right near DC. I have 6 Pirelli dealers within 10 miles of my house and all of them refused to honor the warranty because it is too much of a hassle for them. Once I got Pirelli corporate to force one of their dealers into giving me service, I was left with $204 sitting on my credit card and me awaiting reimbursement (1 month and counting).

As for your question about "How do you know any other tire manufacturer wouldn't have been just as difficult?", I was only referencing my experience with Pirelli. That is why my original statement is worded as such: "Based off of recent(2/16 and ongoing) personal experience with Pirelli, if you buy tires from them be prepared to have zero warranty support. If you get a defective tire you will likely be responsible for 100% of the replacement cost."

But since you asked, when I got an out of round General RT43 on my wife's Pontiac, the road-force balancer was able the ride to a tolerable state. Now you only notice the ride issue above 70 MPH and my wife drives a maximum of 60 MPH on her 1.7 mile commute. I had looked into the warranty exchange with General but I would have been out approximately $40 for mounting and road-force balancing the replacement so we just couldn't justify spending that on a $60 tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back