Honda Accord VTC Actuator Update.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been trying to follow the progress of the Honda VTC actuator debacle. I bought my 2012 Accord back in August and it has had the grind on start up quite frequently since purchase. Its more pronounced when cold, but its there on most start ups. I took my car in back in September to have it fixed, this is when they told me that Honda has instructed them to stop replacing the part because the new part would just start having the same issue. I do frequent searches online to see if a fix has come out yet. Honda has been promising a fix for YEARS now, well as of the end of last month they finally started rolling out the new updated VTC actuator. I waited a couple weeks before scheduling an appointment because Honda was / is slowly releasing them, and each dealership only gets a few. I called my local dealer today to confirm they had the part before I drove over on Friday (day of scheduled appt). I got the manager involved because the service advisers didn't seem to know what I was asking. Anyway I got a call back from the manager this afternoon saying that sure enough, they had a single unit in stock. He didn't even know the fix was released yet (just happened two or three weeks ago). He confirmed it would be covered under the powertrain warranty and that it should be done within the day! Excited to be one of the first to receive the fix. Hopefully they wont damage anything in the process, and may this fix last!
If you dont know what the VTC issue is or sounds like, watch this video...this problem has been going on for 8 years! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM96ks7gDBI

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Hopefully they wont damage anything in the process, and may this fix last!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM96ks7gDBI

Yes, hopefully you have a competent service department at that dealer.
It seems like a botched job on this part could mean they will have to end up replacing the entire engine.
shocked2.gif
mad.gif
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

It seems like a botched job on this part could mean they will have to end up replacing the entire engine.
shocked2.gif
mad.gif
crazy2.gif

No joke!

I am planning on changing the oil afterwards since the valve cover will be off, and I am not sure how careful the techs will be at keeping the innards clean and debris free. Does this seems like good practice?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
How many miles on the current oil Greg?

Its not due for a change for a while, currently sitting around 2K miles on the oil. I am more concerned about debris from the replacement floating around, and wanting to "flush" it out.

I would be concerned about using brand new VTC with old timing chain (possibly stretched due to VTC failure), instead of debris floating around. I would try to get them replace the chain, tensioner, and guides all together.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
I would be concerned about using brand new VTC with old timing chain (possibly stretched due to VTC failure), instead of debris floating around. I would try to get them replace the chain, tensioner, and guides all together.

Im hoping and praying they will do me right, and if those parts need replacement, that they will take care of it.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Post a scan or pic (personal info obliterated) of your finished work order to assist us and other owners in seeing what this dealership includes in the service.

Yes. This.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Post a scan or pic (personal info obliterated) of your finished work order to assist us and other owners in seeing what this dealership includes in the service.

I will be glad too.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Is there an actual problem other than noise?

Honda says that it won't damage anything. I still want to get it replaced though, metal grinding on metal can't be good long term.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Is there an article or updated TSB in regards to this? Very interested.

I have been trying to stay updated on this issue, and I haven't seen any updated articles or TSB's. Call your local dealer, tell them that the updated part is available, and see if they have it in stock. From what I gather Honda corporate provided a small number to every dealership. My dealer only had 1!

shocked2.gif
mad.gif
crazy2.gif

At least if they do bork it, it will be on their dime. Since Honda claims the actuator noise isn't a problem, any damage IT does cause likely wouldn't be covered. Greg, is this being done for free or do you have to pay?

Originally Posted By: dlayman

shocked2.gif
mad.gif
crazy2.gif

At least if they do bork it, it will be on their dime. Since Honda claims the actuator noise isn't a problem, any damage IT does cause likely wouldn't be covered. Greg, is this being done for free or do you have to pay?

It is covered under powertrain warranty

Just dropped of my baby...they said it should be finished around lunch. I will keep you all updated. Hard to believe this issue has been around for 8 years! Hope this new part fixes the issue.

I got the Accord back around 1:00 ish, I decided to go ahead and change the oil since I'm not sure how well the tech was at keeping debris out of the engine. It hasn't had a chance to sit long enough to see if the new VTC actuator has resolved the rattle, but it is sitting now and will be for the next 4 hours and that usually is enough time for it to grind upon start up. So I'll find out tonight and tomorrow if it still rattles. I don't have the work order (they're mailing it too me) but once I get it I'll post it up so you can all see what parts were replaced. I really have no idea what they replaced at this point. Total time from start to finish was about 4 hours. If you have this issue I encourage you to contact your dealer to see if they have the new part in stock yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back