2015 Mazda3 Sport 6 speed using oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a new 2015 Mazda3 Sport, 6-speed on 21 August, 2015 with 343mi. The car has 14000+ miles now. The dealer included 4 free oil changes and tire rotations with the new car purchase. Having these done at the recommended 5000 mile interval. First oil Change at 5244 miles. Oil level was fine all the way. As second oil change approached, I noticed oil level decrease. One qt low at ~9589 miles with oil change due at ~10K. I added 1 qt. Oil changed at 10,049mi. Next change due at ~15K. Engine is 1 qt down at 14K.

Oil is Castrol Syntec 0w-20. I live in the Virginia mountains. My daily drive encompasses a 2500 foot elevation change twice each day. The car has a shift point indicator, which I mostly follow, but it tends to prefer a short shift which I do not always like. This is not a high performance car, but it is a nimble and fun car. I do enjoy some spirited driving.

I am concerned about this oil usage. Should I shorten the change interval? The level decreases gradually through the current interval. Or possibly change to a 0w-30 or 40? I am going to pursue the issue with my dealer, but wanted some other input.

Thanks,

Ted

In my limited experience, it's normal for Euro Cars to use a bit of oil, they are designed that way. But, Japanese cars typically do not use enough oil to notice during a regular OCI.

I've owned an Acura, a Toyota, three Mazda 3's and a Mazda 6 and none of them ever used enough oil to notice.

The Mazda 6 I have now has the 2.5l engine (pre SkyActive) and does not use a drop in 7,500 miles.

A question for someone with more experience than me....do new cars still have to break-in and seat the rings?

Try a different brand oil. One solid choice would be the Mazda labeled oil with moly. You didn't have a consumption issue till you switched brands. What are the avg rmpms when shifting? High rpms may have something to do with it as well.

Slightly different engine, but my Civic SI (k20) used roughly 1 quart by 4k-5k miles. I just started checking it every 1k, and my OCI's were usually 5k anyway. From what I remember, that was pretty average for that engine.

Like you said check what the dealer says, I bet they say its average usage.

I'm pretty sure the dealer is going to say that 1 qt. in 5K is 'normal' even though I disagree.

I would try different brands to see if it helps and after warranty you could go to 0w30 or 5w30 (to see if that helps).

You could also go with regular dino and change it before needing to add.

PS: I'm assuming the 343 miles were 'test drives' and I'm sure they didn't have 'break-in' in mind. I would want a decent discount to take a new car with over 300 miles.

A few comments:

Most manufacturers regard oil consumption of one quart per 1,000-1,500 miles to be "normal" so I doubt you'll get help from Mazda unless things get a lot worse.

A quart every 4-5k is not high oil consumption. Everyone wants zero consumption, but your level is in the "acceptable" range, imo. Plus, buying the car with 300+ miles gives you no insight into how it was treated during the break-in period. Maybe it was abused/babied enough to keep the rings from seating perfectly.

Are you sure the oil is full immediately after the oil change? Dealers can be a little sloppy, and if you start a half quart low...

I expect you're gauging the 1 quart consumption estimate based on the distance between the two dots on the dipstick. It's possible that this considerably less than a full quart.

As others have suggested, try a different brand of oil and do it yourself. Mobil1 0w-20 has lots of supporters here. I wouldn't stray from the recommended viscosity during the warranty period.

A quart in 5000 miles would be considered normal. Using a quart in less than 1,000 miles would be considered abnormal and Mazda would pay attention. No oil usage is what you'd like to see but some engines just use a little oil.

Some good ideas:
check the level when it's changed - you may be starting a bit low.
try a few different brands - and do a couple of changes each - you may find one your engine likes

My Volvo used oil from the very beginning. It never got any worse and I put 285,000 Km on it. My Honda and two Toyotas have never used any oil (no noticeable drop in 8,000 Km/5,000 miles) but that's just the luck of the draw.

I don't see any harm in letting the oil level drop slightly right before a 5k change.

You could also switch brands and see if anything changes.

I would be very unhappy if my CX5T used any noticeable amount in a 5K oil change. Possibly the dealer change brands in his bulk oil. In addition, are you checking the level just after the dealer changes it to confirm the dealer is filling it full? I think I would take some PP 0w20(Walmart for ~ $25/5Q jug) and WATCH the dealer install the oil.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Put an oil pan warmer(for engine)and an hour before you drive the car. Heat up the oil(winter)

Interesting point. I have a '12 Subaru Outback (109k miles) that uses no discernible oil except in winter. It only uses about an ounce per 1000 miles (How do I notice that, right?) from November through February. I have come to the conclusion that the small amount is used on cold start up.

I did do a long winter trip a couple of years ago, and in spite of driving 5k miles in 0 to 20F weather, it used nothing......Which supports the theory that it is warm up when the consumption takes place.

I have also driven in 115 degree heat for extended periods, with no measurable consumption.

This is with Mobil 1 0W/30 AFE in the sump.

Mobil 1 fixed my Skyactiv oil use. Mine burned the OEM Mazda Moly oil at around 1/2 qt per 3000mi. Castrol doesn't have a low NOACK rating (in my opinion) and having an oil with less burn off will make a large difference in consumption. I recommend trying 0W-20 Extended Protection and check in 5000.

I change mine every 7500/6mo as per Schedule 1.

Last edited:
You think 5000 miles/quart is a problem? My Mazda consumed more than that from the start, and lasted over 600K with no failures related to engine lubrication.

Switched to M1 Extended Protection 0W-20 at last oil change. Down 1/2 qt at 5000 mi oil change. Big improvement. Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted By: CruiserTed
Never switched brands. Mazda spec. Dealer has done all oil changes to date.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Consumption sounds normal.

Originally Posted By: Dominic
Mobil 1 fixed my Skyactiv oil use. Mine burned the OEM Mazda Moly oil at around 1/2 qt per 3000mi. Castrol doesn't have a low NOACK rating (in my opinion) and having an oil with less burn off will make a large difference in consumption. I recommend trying 0W-20 Extended Protection and check in 5000.

I change mine every 7500/6mo as per Schedule 1.

Agree. I've been running 7-8k mile drains using M1 EP 0w20, which is mostly PAO and has a low NOACK of 10%. It doesn't consume any oil. I drive 80+ mph too.

The Castrol and Mazda 0w20's have NOACK's above 13%, which is on the high side.

My 2014 Honda Accord LX burned several quarts on the factory fill and the first oil change, then miraculously stopped. Went from the recommended ow20 semi-synthetic to a 5w20 that is nominally conventional oil, which I can't imagine made any real difference. I was just being cheap...
At any rate, it has 30k on it now, doesn't burn a drop. The last oil burning Honda I had was a 77 Civic, but it was pretty well worn-out when I got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back