Hybrid Bike Under $1,500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering the purchase of a hybrid bike.

I currently have a Specialized that has been fairly decent but it's at least twelve (12) years old.

A friend recently purchased a Trek hybrid and it has disc brakes and shock absorbers, both of which I like.

I know a lot more about motor oil than I do bikes (okay, some of you may question that statement) so I 'm looking for
constructive advice on makes and models. 21+ speed preferred.

I have a great helmet and shoes (no cages on my pedals, please), now I want a new bike to go with them.

Most of my riding (60%) would be on dedicated bike trails and the other 40% risking my life on the roadway.

Thanks.

Okay.

I read the "Mountain Bikes Under $1,000" thread AFTER I posted, so forgive the duplication.

There was lots of good advice in response to that post.

But, I know I don't want a mountain bike nor a "narrow tire" bike, based on trying out both for several roadway miles.

And while bikesdirect may offer more value, I will likely buy from a local bike shop.

Thanks, again.

Shop around at the various bike shops, they do vary quite a bit. Might get a nice deal now before the weather breaks. I have a Giant hybrid that I like. No disc brakes but has the springs in the front fork and another spring in the seat post. Nice smooth ride. I road one without the spring fork and it's night and day difference. I also had the shop add some pegs on the end of the handle bars for climbing hills. Plus it's nice to change your hand position for longer rides.

It will be well under your budget of $1500. I think I paid $400 or so. A coworker got me on to this model after he rode it to work for years in all sorts of weather. From where the Cleveland zoo is located to downtown.

Plenty of decent hybrids in the $350-$450 range, including Trek, Univega, etc. My base model Raleigh 21 speed road bike cost me $450 and it lasted 10 years without any maintenance other than tires. So you don't have to spend $800-$1500 for a decent mountain bike, which would be cheaper than a similar quality road bike.

I'm just an amateur doing 1,000 miles per year. But, I would think most looking to end buy end with a lot more bike than they really need. I've had the simple plastic straps and binders on my pedals. They are very simple and cheap. I do like having the extra support in my foot so it doesn't slip out when pedaling hard in an upright position. I've done it with and without and I like the "with." No need for a fancy shoe that locks into the pedal. I don't race or compete.

I think the OP is aware that with bikes the more you spend the better/nicer it is. Whether a person can tell the difference between a $400 bike and a $1500 bike depends on their skill and experience, and also is the increased level of fit/finish/lower weight etc perceived to be worth the extra money. If you ride a $250 bike and are happy with it and can't see spending more then you've got the right bike.

Specialized & Trek are like Chevy & Ford, the 2 big dogs in the bike biz in the US. Since OP has positive experience with Specialized that's the place to start looking, why not? And since you like buying from a shop do you have a favorite shop? Another good place to start. Specialized calls their hybrid bikes "fitness" bikes and it looks like the Crosstrail is what you'd look at, discs and front shock. $550 to $1800. Good time to pick up a '15 leftover if you like bargains.

Congrats and enjoy whatever you get! Darn few things let you feel like a kid like riding a bike.

Schwinn Men's Siro 700c Hybrid Bicycle Black is a great bike and has held up well for my size (5'9 250+lbs) . Couldn't be more happier with the purchase. I have had the bike for a few months and it has performed well. No issues and highly recommended for someone who does some riding here and there. Specs are the following:

Schwinn aluminum Hybrid frame with Schwinn suspension fork
Shimano 21 speed rear derailleur with Shimano EZ Fire shifters
Alloy rims are lightweight and strong, front quick release
Padded comfort style seat with suspension seat post
Swept-back handlebar for the perfect upright riding position

Originally Posted By: dkryan
I am considering the purchase of a hybrid bike.

I currently have a Specialized that has been fairly decent but it's at least twelve (12) years old.

A friend recently purchased a Trek hybrid and it has disc brakes and shock absorbers, both of which I like.

I know a lot more about motor oil than I do bikes (okay, some of you may question that statement) so I 'm looking for
constructive advice on makes and models. 21+ speed preferred.

I have a great helmet and shoes (no cages on my pedals, please), now I want a new bike to go with them.

Most of my riding (60%) would be on dedicated bike trails and the other 40% risking my life on the roadway.

Thanks.

For your riding, you don't need a front suspension. Get a hybrid that leans more towards the road bike, so a nice carbon fork will do, with the meaty tires, for smoothing out the road.

at the $1500 range, you're looking at 10-speed drivetrains (10 cogs) ... disc brakes isn't too critical either.

A Trek FX S4 for $1100 can be a good option. it's a Tiagra 2x10, with plenty of range on the cassette (11-34t) with a 48/34 crank.

You can get one with front suspension fork that has lockout and that way you can select whether to use the shocks or not. Also if you are interested in diamondback bike, maybe look at the trace or overdrive series, maybe even the mason series, you can get 40-50% discount off msrp by signing up for a free corporate account http://slickdeals.net/e/8526633-diamond-back-bicycles-40-off?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Example: trace comp is $480, overdrive comp is $650, mason trail is $660

Last edited:
You don't need a front suspension fork as long as you ride it on paved trails, adding 5-7 lbs weight doesn't make sense if you don't go to MTB trails. Carbon fork is the way to go.

I doubt you really need $1500 hybrid bike. Probably you won't feel a difference between $700 and $1500 bikes. Trek FX 7.4 and Giant Escape 1 are some good options under $700. Both come with a carbon fork and decent drivetrain.

And please, don't buy a department store bike, support your local bike shop.

Originally Posted By: dgunay

............And please, don't buy a department store bike, support your local bike shop.

+1

i cant believe the color schemes the last few years for Specialized
frown.gif
i think the last year the Crosstrail looked nice was 2013. i have the white one with red letters and love it but tired of the mediocre components and noisy shifts. Shimano Altus and triggers big gears and fast

This may be too skinny for what you're looking to do but I just ordered a Giant Toughroad. It's a 700c bike with 50mm wide tires. Giant considers it a cross bike.
I'll be using it primarily as a fast paved path bike. My other bikes are a full suspension 29er and a couple of fat bikes set up differently for trails, snow and beach sand. Not ideal for pavement.

The Toughroad is pretty sweet for the money. 2x10 drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes, even racks for pannier bags. all for around 1100 bucks. I believe it even has a carbon fork.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back