Snapper rider mower LT12D331TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has a Briggs 12Hp vertical shaft engine. Anybody know if this is worth messing with?

My brother got it cheap from somebody he knows, that got it from somebody else. Engine has no carb, or outer cover on engine. Has the deck, bagger shute etc. Just don't know if it's worth messing with? Any info is good to know.

33" inch deck and a friction disk drive system I believe. Not my cup of tea, but might have parts worth something with mowing season approaching.

Outercover should not be needed. Small engines are a hoot to work on, it tests patience, but, its a learning experience. Whenever I get frustrated working on Cars, I remember it could be worse dealing with small engines.

So yeah, in that aspect, id work on it.
A lawn mower is always a decent investment, especially a rider where they can go $1000+ at times

Even if not needed, you can sell it after you fix it?
How I got through high school paying for the ranger. Scrapping metal, then rebuilding bumped up lawnmowers with parts of other lawnmowers I picked up for free.
then, ultimately selling them.

People finance mowers these days, anyone is willing to buy a used running one for 200-300$

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Based on my experience Snapper riders are junk. Scrap it.

And what experience is that?

I have a few customers with them that love them. Two of them are 30 years old or so and keep on going. If they were junk they wouldn't have sold as well as they did.

Got a new place with a big yard. Took 2 1/2 hours one day with a 21" self propelled. Heaven help me if I had to push the mower as well. That was not even all of it. But about a third of that time was picking up tree debris.

If I could sell it in the future, that would help. The neighbor came by and mowed the lawn one day for me. He has a Kubota tractor. He did not even mention he was going to do it. I'll have to thank him.

They are great mowers. With a good engine, they are very reliable. They are very simple so there isn't much to go wrong. I bought a few of them with blown engines from people who never checked the oil. I would slap on a used or new engine and sell for profit fairly quickly.

Yep, the old Snapper rear engine riders didn't look the part, but they did last seemingly forever with decent care. Like said, easy to work on. The Snapper in question I'm not familiar with.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Got a new place with a big yard. Took 2 1/2 hours one day with a 21" self propelled. Heaven help me if I had to push the mower as well. That was not even all of it. But about a third of that time was picking up tree debris.

If I could sell it in the future, that would help. The neighbor came by and mowed the lawn one day for me. He has a Kubota tractor. He did not even mention he was going to do it. I'll have to thank him.

2.5. Hours isn't bad. I would keep pushing it. Mine takes 4-5 to push mow 2/3rds of it. The riding mower takes a couple of hours and is rough.

Based on the parts you say are missing, you have a $25 parts mower. Nothing more. I can still find running Snapper ride on mower for $150-$200 in running condition. Find an already running mower on Craigslist and it will be cheaper than buying all the missing parts to get that one running. Plus, you could throw a bunch of parts on it just to find out that the engine is slap wore out and smokes heavily.

Sure it COULD be fixed, but I dont think it's the cheapest or best course of action, honestly.

That was my original fear, and still at the top of my mind......money/time, moneypit/time pit.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Based on the parts you say are missing, you have a $25 parts mower. Nothing more. I can still find running Snapper ride on mower for $150-$200 in running condition. Find an already running mower on Craigslist and it will be cheaper than buying all the missing parts to get that one running. Plus, you could throw a bunch of parts on it just to find out that the engine is slap wore out and smokes heavily.

Sure it COULD be fixed, but I dont think it's the cheapest or best course of action, honestly.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I think it can be used to actually tow stuff.

If it's got a rear hitch plate on it, it can tow a light cart, lawn sweeper, etc. It looks like a gear drive unit and not friction disk or belt and variator pulley drive.

This machine was built when Snapper was it's own company. It's been owned by Briggs and Stratton for over 10yrs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back