Alarm Clocks! Beyond the same stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda sad....my 15ish year old mangnavox alarm clock is on it's way out. Love it because it has two alarms, Am/fm radio, and gives NOAA reports.

Problem is-I can't find one like it. Doesn't have to charge stuff (would be okay if it did) Looks like a normal alarm clock (instead of a shelter radio), or even offers more than one alarm!

Mine looks just like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-Digital...01957849?_ul=UY

Noticed they are on ebay once in a while, but I've trying to find one kinda like it.

Might get lucky and find a guru on these clocks....this thng had been rock solid, and I am hoping to find one I like....checked many places so far...

So true about quality clock radio/alarms being hard to find. I've got a 27yr/old GE clock radio with a well faded blue fluorescent display I had to stop using because of finicky switches on it. A shame too because the radio actually sounded great on it. Prior to that I had an old flip-number clock radio. Loved that one until the flip o magic stopped working. Lol

I get that people use cell phones-- I have mine set five minutes after my "real" alarm clock as a backup.

Redundancy rocks. Alarm clocks have one job. Okay, two.

I'm rocking a "Tozai" clock I got at walgreens 25 years ago.

I see a ton of stuff like that at Goodwill stores. I visit those stores every once in awhile looking for records (which they hardly ever have) and I'll browse around their collection of electronics looking for old school stereo equipment. I'll always see a bunch of alarm clocks. Maybe check antique stores and malls,and maybe pawn shops too.

My fave kind've alarm clocks are the simplest ones. Only features I want are the time and one alarm,nothing else.

What's wrong with your alarm clock? The switches and buttons are not responding? Take it apart and give it a shot of electronic contact cleaner. They have dust in them. And if you ruin it you have nothing to lose. But it you fix it on the otherhand...

It means important parts of it are unreliable. We all go thru the same things with alarm clocks. Some lose / dim their numbers lighting. Sometimes the radio gets staticy. Some slowly begin to periodically stop ringing at the designated wake-up hour. Ringer decibels may slowly decrease .....etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Have you checked Bed Bath & Beyond?
they have a few decent clocks

Yeah, they have a few Timex ones that are not bad so far...might be the go to if find nothing else....

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Planb
What's wrong with your alarm clock?

yeah, what does "on it's way out" mean ??

Sorry...guess I should have mentioned that....the volume for the am/fm radio is going in and out...

Scratchy retains the same decibels. In and out does not. His definition appears to be a closer fit to signals fade or volume interuption, than static.

Last edited:
Most use their cell phone for an alarm anymore. I'm still using a Panasonic dual alarm I got back when I was in tech school in the Air Force in 1983. 32yrs later.

no cell phones allowed in the bedroom here...

I have a dual alarm clock, where both alarmscan beset to work every day, only during weekdays or only in the weekend.

The time is controlled/set by radio signal.

I always use the buzzer, never wake up with radio

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I see a ton of stuff like that at Goodwill stores.

That's a great idea to try to find some of the vintage stuff.

I know we've tried a few new ones for the kids over the years. It's unreal how cheaply made even the recognizable 'brand named' ones are. Just for fun, I tried one of these eBay cheapies for one of my boys a year or so ago. It actually works well and is super easy to see from across the room.
6c5dcc842f542a45c76ba41cefb08600.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back