2015 Silverado/5.3 V8/PP 0W20/3420 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am posting this for another member here (15SilvyEcotec). This is his UOA on his 5.3 Vortec in a 2015 Chevy Silverado.

15%20SILVERADO-020516_zpsq7bmekp2.jpg

Really uoa's on engines this new are a waste of money. The only thing you can gleam is that there is not a lot of fuel dilution.

I'd wait until at least 15k to do one.

The failure is that I had a 2014 Silverado that I knew was going south. I would take it to the dealer and they would always say it is fine. When it got to 8,043 miles it was blowing smoke on start up, burning huge amounts of oil and sounding like it was going to go at any minute. They installed a complete crate engine and worked me into a 2015. This truck has never made any sound such as the old but I just wanted to check it out

The 2014 had a defective oil pump seal that dumped a lot of in back into the oil pan

Sounds to me like they moved hard on it, pretty good service.

And the first line of the comments says it all. It DOES happen, and with every brand. Good luck with your 15!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

And the first line of the comments says it all. It DOES happen, and with every brand. Good luck with your 15!

Agreed. Our 2014 5.3DI has been problem free for 27K now.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The dealer treated me well. They didnt really want to believe the 4.3 EcoTec was going south at first. I took it in at 2,000, 4,300 and the final 8,043 miles. It developed a bad lifter knock at 2,000 miles when it was warming up but even at the end I towed my boat with it and it still ran hard.

The EcoTec has a dual pressure oil pump. One is low pressure high volume and at around 3,700 rpm's it goes to a high pressure side. It has 2 metal lines coming from it and the seal on the high pressure side was folded over on its self so when it when to the high pressure side it was dumping oil back in the pan. The top end of the motor was coked up and the valves were trashed. The dealer payed my truck payments while they had it and a month later got me in a 2015 with a 10k rebate just for my trouble. I cant complain. I got a Crew Cab V8 LS for less than I payed for the work truck V6 powered extended cab

Last edited:
I can see your concern. I'm glad it worked out for you. I have a 2014 GMC Terrain with the 2.4 D.I. Ecotec. Everything seems OK but it's always a concern for me. I just don't like these new D.I. engines. Not only fuel but always that chance of the intake valves getting gummed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back