2002 Expedition Transmission Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the dreaded P1743 show up a few months ago on the 4R100 after a transmission fluid change (I put it MERCON V instead of MERCON). The Expy seems to be shifting fine. I always drive with the O/D off. From my research, this code indicates a problem with the the torque converter locking up properly. I drive the Expy less than 2000 miles a year. It's main purpose is towing an 18 foot bass boat to the lake in the summer. Without any other symptoms then the flashing O/D light, how serious of a problem do I have?

My question is what are they long term effects of driving the truck without torque converter lockup?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
You have a failed TCC solenoid. Easy to replace, but you have to drop the pan again.

What is the harm in not replacing the TCC solenoid? I'm not transmission expert, but from my reading the TCC solenoid is what enables the transmission to go into overdrive at cruising speeds. I don't have a need for overdrive as this truck is only used to haul firewood around town or tow the bass boat 20 miles to the lake. Any time I am towing I turn OD manually by pushing the button on the gear shift.

You'll have a lot of slipping in lockup, which generates excess heat. You could overheat the transmission, potentially resulting in failure. Not a risk worth taking IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back