MaxLife blend or Pennzoil HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a ex co worker of mine stopped over a bit ago. We are watching the Flyers/Penguins game. He has a 2000 Civic VP with 249k on it and it's a manual trans. We are doing the timing belt and weeping crankshaft seal and water pump soon. He asked me what oil he could run. I suggested MaxLife or PHM. What do you folks think? Oh yeah: it's the 1.7 engine

That high of miles I'd go with the Pennzoil, it is thicker for grade than the Valvoline products are and an engine that tired might appreciate that a bit.

Update: I went to the Wal Mart I got the PYB 10w30 and 5w30 and they only had PHM in 10w40. Found a older PHM 5w30 on "clearance island" for $18~. Grabbed that and a TG7317
smile.gif

Mr nice: you are right, thanks for the correction
smile.gif
. Rough morning trying to find a blood draw site and the snow
smile.gif

I'm partial to Pennzoil or Mobil products, so given those choices, Pennzoil HM.

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, the jug of PHM 5w30 I got "clearance" was March 2015 date coded

Nice! Good stuff, wonder why they had it on clearance?

How much snow did y'all get son??

Like others have said.... Either one is very good. I would lean towards Valvoline Maxlife.

KCJEEP: they had a 5 quart jug of EDGE GOLD JUG "professional series" 5w20 for like $19.00 clearance too
smile.gif
. When I checked out; that was GONE.

bbhero: had 2" on grass and roads at 6:45 when I found the new blood draw site. Did that and took elderly ex co worker out for home style breakfast at
Local fire hall
smile.gif
. Made my day
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really good man.. You are a good guy man.

I was surprised to see snow here in my area on Tuesday morning earlier this last week. Been since 2007 I have seen snow so late.

Yeah, ex co worker had a doctor appointment so I drove him there as it was 1/2 mile from blood draw site place. Yeah, going to 11f tonight here then up to 53f tomorrow so go figure

I do what others would do for me or as a wise older man told me "you would do it for me if I could not."

I don't think you can go wrong with either,-- but I've been running Maxlife in my Rav for the last 220,000 miles. Running it in my Highlander also. In fact been using it for quite some time. Good stuff-----------

04 Rav4- 292,000 miles - 5-30 Maxlife and NAPA Gold filter
08 Highlander- 90,000 miles - 5-30 Maxlife and NAPA Gold filter

Both.
My son just had his 96 Corolla's t/b, w/p, t-stat, valve cover gasket, and all of the oil seals R&R. He has 240K miles on the engine. Before the work he was adding a qt. every 1K- 1200 miles. He has/had been using VML, PHM, and WMSTHM, 10W30 & 10W40 in the engine.
Since the repairs, he has gone 6 weeks/1100 miles and has NOT had to add ANY oil yet! It gives off a slight puff of blue smoke (valve seals) upon start up, but, other than that, no more major oil leaks. The last task of the R&R job was an OCI with MSHM 10W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back