Depression And Mental Illness.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone else suffers from mental illness. I've struggled with a alcohol problem for 20 years. I sobered up a few months ago and find myself extremely depressed. I'm on medication and see a Dr. but it only helps somewhat.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I was wondering if anyone else suffers from mental illness.

No not me!!
crackmeup2.gif

I still have depression but my puppy and family keep me from killing myself
laugh.gif

I do lots of night shift, so I have little to no social life.

One of the things that helps me the most is going to the gym and do some weights.

As a pharmacist I can tell you that you are in good company. I actually work for a psych hospital right now and what I see is very somber and depressing. Six months ago we had a patient who some how climbed onto the roof during his supervised break and jumped to his death. All I can say to you is don't ever feel ashamed to fail and better yet don't feel ashamed to cry out for help. You'd be surprised as to how many dont seek help or are ashamed to check themselves into a psych hospital because everyone calls it the "looney bin". It truly is the silent disease because no one wants or likes to talk about it.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
laugh.gif

I do lots of night shift, so I have little to no social life.

One of the things that helps me the most is going to the gym and do some weights.

Quoted for truth.

I still think of backing out of this move I made, to be with Snowball. My cats are the cutest thing.

And +1 on weights and exercise.. add in good DIET too, less/minimal sugar.

I was wondering if anyone else suffers from mental illness. I've struggled with a alcohol problem for 20 years. I sobered up a few months ago and find myself extremely depressed. I'm on medication and see a Dr. but it only helps somewhat.

I haven't had the issue myself but I have had family and loved ones struggle with alcohol and depression.

If the current meds aren't helping much ask the doc to try something different. Many meds for depression are similar but slight variations can have significant difference on benefit to specific individuals. Don't give up and good luck. And do anything you can to stay away from the alcohol...it only brings suffering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewie
laugh.gif

I'll give you another reason: If you kill yourself, you go to some kind of detention center in the afterlife. They might even make you live go through another life. The people that stick it out and die of natural causes get to go to the good part of heaven and see their family again.

I thought the best antidote to depression was alcohol. Despite 2 DUI's & various other charges for vagrancy. I used alcohol to socialize and feel like a normal person.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney

I haven't had the issue myself but I have had family and loved ones struggle with alcohol and depression.

If the current meds aren't helping much ask the doc to try something different. Many meds for depression are similar but slight variations can have significant difference on benefit to specific individuals. Don't give up and good luck.

Doctors credit MEDS with giving me the actual state of mind for when I put the bullet through my head with that rifle, most likelyna Ruger 96/22.

I survived, made full recovery, and you wouldnt know that unless I told you. I always wear hats, though (surgical hairline, scar.)

I would encourage every single person to do ANYTHING but medicate from this drug cartel that makes more money than they know what to do with, the latest implementation of it is the ACA.

Truth. I'm actually not being serious. Doctors say meds put ms over the edge to where I actually did that. And yes, I know what a "powder burn" is, thanks.

I was a heavy drinker most my life. Haven't been drunk in the last ten years. I suffered from acute anxiety. I got it handled now though.
Just had a coworker die from drinking. He was 31 years old.
A neighbor called the police for a welfare check and they found him dead in his house. Empty booze bottles everywhere.

I thought the best antidote to depression was alcohol.

That don't work on me. Instead of being depressed and sober, I'm depressed and intoxicated.

I thought the best antidote to depression was alcohol. Despite 2 DUI's & various other charges for vagrancy. I used alcohol to socialize and feel like a normal person.

Many struggle with alcohol dependency or addiction, but not everyone chooses to drive "toasty." Are you a part of any support group and/or are you receiving any sort of counseling or treatment? If the answer is 'no,' then why are you even posting?

I have experience with mental illness, and I have zero patience for those who put others at risk due to it. Life is short enough with the all of the risks today; none of us needs to add 'you' to the list.

I was hospitalized 5 times when I was younger. I've had a number of rough spells since then too. The worst I felt was last yr when my superiors at work were just being very nasty to me because of my illness multiple sclerosis. Really was very hard to be treated like I'm just a lazy piece of garbage. It took a big toll on me. Crazy to think these morons actually are in healthcare too. The only reason I'd pull my last supervisor out if a burning car is because it's the right thing to do. But I'd tell that rather spineless, nasty and ugly individual not to thank me at all. I'd tell her to act like she's not an idiot no more. I just didn't deserve that nonsense.

One thing that did help me was to do things for other people. I'd cook food for my neighbors and co workers. This gave me a good sense of joy and lifted my spirits a lot. So, I would say that's a good way to help ourselves.... Help and do for others.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I was hospitalized 5 times when I was younger. I've had a number of rough spells since then too. The worst I felt was last yr when my superiors at work were just being very nasty to me because of my illness multiple sclerosis. Really was very hard to be treated like I'm just a lazy piece of garbage. It took a big toll on me. Crazy to think these morons actually are in healthcare too. The only reason I'd pull my last supervisor out if a burning car is because it's the right thing to do. But I'd tell that rather spineless, nasty and ugly individual not to thank me at all. I'd tell her to act like she's not an idiot no more. I just didn't deserve that nonsense.

One thing that did help me was to do things for other people. I'd cook food for my neighbors and co workers. This gave me a good sense of joy and lifted my spirits a lot. So, I would say that's a good way to help ourselves.... Help and do for others.

Even as PC as things have become, and all of the risk involved with discrimination, I still hear people talk trash about others who may or may not have issues. Kind of makes me sick.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Even as PC as things have become, and all of the risk involved with discrimination, I still hear people talk trash about others who may or may not have issues. Kind of makes me sick.

+1

Got thrown out of a local Kmart because I simply was not going to stand and watch it happen to someone....

The worst I felt was last yr when my superiors at work were just being very nasty to me because of my illness multiple sclerosis. Really was very hard to be treated like I'm just a lazy piece of garbage.

I live with MS too. It's one of those diseases that many dont understand. One day you are normal as the guy next to you and the next day a complete mess. I've had people tell me that I don't look like I have MS. I just shake my head and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back