Subaru WRX 50-weight oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Padawan
Originally Posted By: dmhudson91
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy running a 50-weight on a stock motor considering the climate and heavy use.

You're not, but that won't stop some folks who have no experience with these engines from trying to convince you you are.

Why not a high HTHS (relative) oil, like Redline 5W-20? He OP's post leads me to believe he's driving this gently, like he's breaking-in a new car.

On a serious note: Running a heavier or lighter oil than needed (recommendations from an out-dated manual...an owners manual, at that) mean nothing today. What is possible is not the same as what is appropriate.

ANY XW-30 might have been an appropriate response, depending on how the OP responded re: how he drives and the condition of the engine; just as a robust XW-50 might really be necessary, following the same logic.

With more information ("heavy use" and intent to auto-X) I believe a thicker operating viscosity might not be a bad idea at all. Depending on the length of the course and spacing, an auto-X probably won't require a heavier oil, unless you're doing runs back-to-back. A lot of high-RPM operation, but mostly in 2nd or maybe 3rd gear. A good driver will left-foot brake and keep the turbo spooled most of the time, but the load is relatively low, compared to tracking, I mean. I don't have much experience, but in my previous GR STI I never left 2nd gear during an auto-X and as quickly as she boosted I was barely kissing redline by the time I had to let off and brake hard.

I would argue that driving aggressively on an empty TX highway would be harder on the oil than any auto-cross. Lower RPM and higher sustained load. Auto-X is much harder on your suspension, brakes and maybe your doffs and transmission, but probably not any harder on your engine than the typical joining about that most do on a nice day, getting up to speed on some highway on-ramp.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
On a serious note: Running a heavier or lighter oil than needed (recommendations from an out-dated manual...an owners manual, at that) mean nothing today. What is possible is not the same as what is appropriate.

Subaru continued to make this recommendation in the manuals up until 2011, so using the term outdated is somewhat misleading. Even in the 2015 manuals, they continue to recommend higher viscosity oils for better protection in hot weather:

"Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine."

Originally Posted By: Padawan
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Subaru continued to make this recommendation in the manuals up until 2011, so using the term outdated is somewhat misleading. Even in the 2015 manuals, they continue to recommend higher viscosity oils for better protection in hot weather:

"Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine."

Subaru is not known for their stringent oil specs. Their requirements have historically been pretty basic.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How about Castrol 5W50.

...or Mobil 1 5W-50, or even Red Line's 5W-50

These oils' HTHSVs are not radically higher than the T6's, but are enough higher to give you that 'extra margin of safety' in the Tejas summer heat in competition.
wink.gif

The Red Line is probably the most shear stable of the lot above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back