VOA Honda Ultimate Full Synthetic 0w20 C-P Made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Looking to run this for my winter fill

Any reason not to use Kendall GT-1 instead? Not many UOAs on it in Honda, but it would seem a logical choice given P66 makes the Honda Ultimate oil.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

The low KV100 of 7.9cSt doesn't necessarily mean this is a light oil as the HTHSV must still be at least 2.6cP to be labelled a 20wt oil. In fact the low KV100 can simply mean that not a lot of VIIs are used which tend to artificially boost the KV100 spec'.
By comparison the QS syn blend 5W-20 has a KV100 of only 8.0cSt and not surprisingly has a lowish 149 VI; HTHSV is 2.6cP.
The lightest oil on the market is the Toyota Brand 0W-20 and it has a KV100 of 8.8cSt due undoubtedly to it's high VII level.
The Idemitsu made Honda 0W-20 has a KV100 of 8.5cSt but it's actually about 10% heavier at 100C and 25% heavier at 20C than the Nippon Oil made Toyota 0W-20. (That's from first hand experience as I've run and track tested both those oils.)

Member BruceT has also had a VOA done on the COP oil (hasn't posted it) and IIRC the VI is about 172, similar to M1 and Valvoline.
If you want to go with a high VI, high moly oil, the two main choices States side are the Toyota Brand 0W-20 and the Idemitsu made Subaru OW-20.

Oh and gpshumway, thanks for posting this.

Don't forget the Mazda oil..

This is an old thread. The high-moly Mazda oil wasn't available when Caterham posted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gpshumway
Originally Posted By: asharris7
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

The low KV100 of 7.9cSt doesn't necessarily mean this is a light oil as the HTHSV must still be at least 2.6cP to be labelled a 20wt oil. In fact the low KV100 can simply mean that not a lot of VIIs are used which tend to artificially boost the KV100 spec'.
By comparison the QS syn blend 5W-20 has a KV100 of only 8.0cSt and not surprisingly has a lowish 149 VI; HTHSV is 2.6cP.
The lightest oil on the market is the Toyota Brand 0W-20 and it has a KV100 of 8.8cSt due undoubtedly to it's high VII level.
The Idemitsu made Honda 0W-20 has a KV100 of 8.5cSt but it's actually about 10% heavier at 100C and 25% heavier at 20C than the Nippon Oil made Toyota 0W-20. (That's from first hand experience as I've run and track tested both those oils.)

Member BruceT has also had a VOA done on the COP oil (hasn't posted it) and IIRC the VI is about 172, similar to M1 and Valvoline.
If you want to go with a high VI, high moly oil, the two main choices States side are the Toyota Brand 0W-20 and the Idemitsu made Subaru OW-20.

Oh and gpshumway, thanks for posting this.

Don't forget the Mazda oil..

This is an old thread. The high-moly Mazda oil wasn't available when Caterham posted.

I know, I was just saying...

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
Any reason not to use Kendall GT-1 instead? Not many UOAs on it in Honda, but it would seem a logical choice given P66 makes the Honda Ultimate oil.

Kendall GT-1 Full Syn is a great option in your Honda.

Just necro-posting again to let you folks know that I have a VOA sample in the mail for BSL of the Canadian Honda Genuine Full Synthetic 0W-20, which is interesting to me as it does not mention API SN anywhere on the bottle but merely cites SL/SM. Expect to hear back sometime next week. I haven't asked for them to do the VI - is there much of a point?

David, thanks for sending in a sample of the current Honda 0W-20 for a VOA.
In the past this oil has been made by Idemitsu in the States and has had a very high VI. Yes it would be very interesting to order a KV40 test so that the VI may be calculated.
Assuming the oil is still made by Idemitsu, it would be interesting to see if the formulation is the same as the Idemitsu made Mazda High Moly 0W-20 which has a 225 VI. This oil is supplied only to Mazda USA dealers.

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Originally Posted By: Brons2
7.9 cSt? Wow that's the lowest I have ever seen, even on an Xw20.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_viscosity=101&id_products=275

It's actually a 16, as the HTHS is below 2.6...when I spoke to Penrite about it their "excuse" was that people buy the 20 for a reason, reduced friction, and the mainstream 0W20s which are typically at or around 2.6 shear to 2.5 or 2.4 relatively quickly...their "shear free" formula is designed to start where most of them end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back