What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Two years ago I bought a 2014 GMC Terrain with the 2.4 Ecotec engine.
I received four free oil changes over a two year period. Now here is the problem. I only put about 10500 km or 6500 miles per year. Every 6 months I was doing 5000km (3100 mi) oil changes. Now that the free oil changes are finished, I'm thinking of going to one oil change per year at 10000km (6200 miles)but I'm concerned about fuel in the oil since it's a DI engine. I'm thinking of using 0w40 but engine calls for 5w30 for warranty.
So my question is, what would you do?

Id pull a UOA and see if there is objective evidence that fuel in the oil is an issue. If there's not, Id do as you plan.

Still under warranty? Use Dexos oil in 5w30 and go by the manual and oil minder. There's no valid reason to stray from that... for now.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Still under warranty? Use Dexos oil in 5w30 and go by the manual and oil minder. There's no valid reason to stray from that... for now.

+1. Get some QSUD at Napa for $29.99 for 5L.

Yeah, it always amazes me that people would think that because one oil is favored by a bunch of people on a forum that it must be better than what the engineers who spent billions designing an engine know.

Same opinion here - use the recommended Dexos oil in 5W/30 and go by the OLM or 1 year whichever comes 1st.

My wife's 09 Acadia is DI. I'm doing 5k OCI on Mobil 1 5w30', which is a little past 50 percent on the OLM. I know that's conservative but there have been timing chain issues with this engine.

Once a year on approved oils. Keep receipts and log the work in the back of the owners manual
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
My wife's 09 Acadia is DI. I'm doing 5k OCI on Mobil 1 5w30', which is a little past 50 percent on the OLM. I know that's conservative but there have been timing chain issues with this engine.

Excellent point and that is the exact regimine I am using for my 2008 CTS. It has already had the timing chains done so it's proven that clean oil is a must so 5000 miles is what I do and the little additional cost is worth it.

The timing chain issue would sway me towards a sooner OCI. While the oil itself may pass muster on a UOA, how the contaminates accumulated in the oil affect the internals is yet another matter. We are only talking about a few quarts of oil and a filter. Hardly a wallet buster. I would opt for the 5000 mile OCI myself, and I do with my 2015 Chevy pickup. Yet I have other motivations to do it at that interval. I live on rural gravel roads that can be pretty dusty, something the OLM is not programmed to compensate for, and I do 5000 mile chassis grease intervals because of that reason and frequent off road use. So I just go ahead and change the oil at the same time.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
$29.99....
At wal mart it is $21.xx
Sometimes cheaper.

His location is in Canada.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Yeah, it always amazes me that people would think that because one oil is favored by a bunch of people on a forum that it must be better than what the engineers who spent billions designing an engine know.

The two reasons for using 0w40 is that 1) I have some left over from my old BMW. I can just mix it with 5w30. 2) Those engineers that designed those engines recommend an A3 rated oil in 0w30; 5w30; 5w40 and 0w40 in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back