Synthetic for a long haul?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2008 Highlander with the 3.5 v6 and the tow package---was wondering if I should stick synthetic in it if I am going to tow my 22ft. pontoon for a long haul -approx. 300 miles.

04 Rav.- 292,000 miles-5-30 Maxlife and NAPA Gold filter
08 Highlander-90,000 miles-5-30 Maxlife and NAPA Gold filter

I would help especially if it's a big load and you're considering keeping your Highlander for a while longer. The difference in cost should not break your bank.

for 300 miles, it's not needed, but certainly wont hurt. the problem with towing pontoon boats is not the weight, but the aerodynamic drag. I actually overheated the rear end on my Jeep towing a pontoon; while the Jeep could easily handle a 3500 lb bowrider without problems.

Thks. OneEyeJack for the reply. Yea I figured as much--I asked the question because I just changed it so I thought maybe I could leave the Maxlife in, but it probably would be better to slip some synthetic in.

For sure tomcat27- I agree about the drag. The pontoon pulls well with the doubleaxel trailer but the insurance of the synthetic so to speak would probably give me peace of mind. (The vehicle is rated for 5000 lbs. with the tow package)

Last edited:
Changing out fresh maxlife for a 300 mile tow? I don't think it will make any difference. I'd leave it in and change to synthetic next oil change if you want. I'd be more concerned with diff/trans oil.

No worries on the ATF. That is good to go. My neighbor raised the question on my oil, so I became curious.

I think as long as your oil isn't over due for a change it won't matter much. I dragged a uhaul box trailer with my Tracker for 3k miles on iffy lube 5W30, sometimes needing 3rd (5spd manual) to hold 55 mph on the interstate. It went another 14 years and 230k km without a problem.
If you've got a good headwind and still try to do 70+ mph you probably could damage your engine and trans, but if you take it easy you will be fine.

Even a conventional shouldn't have a problem towing under those conditions. Don't think there is a need to go heavy or replace what you already have in the sump.

I'll be putting quite a few miles on the Focus towing my pop-up camper this summer using the 0w-20 that has been in there since fall '15 ... don't expect any issues.

I would do it on conventional 5w-20 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back