Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

My wife caved and said I could change her Subarus oil! She wanted dealer while under warranty. The first 3 were dealer changed. I am using a Subaru filter ($5.50 each if I bought 3) and M1 0w20 as it requires syn and it is still under warranty. I'm excited to change oil on a car with an oil filter I don't have to burn my arm on hot exhaust to get off. M1 on sale at WalMart if you're interested.

The Subaru could be the best designed car for an oil change. The filter and fill cap are up front. There is a hole in the protection plate under the engine so you can remove the drain plug. It takes more oil than most small 4 bangers to fill the pan.

Be sure to write the VIN#, oil change date and mileage on your receipts. Keep the receipts in a cool, dry place. I myself go a little further with such receipts : Snap pics, keep files and email them to myself.

wow, a car that is owner friendly,,,now thats news....at least you did not have to remove the alternator, 3 plugs, or take off the right front tire,,,,lol..

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Be sure to write the VIN#, oil change date and mileage on your receipts. Keep the receipts in a cool, dry place. I myself go a little further with such receipts : Snap pics, keep files and email them to myself.

+1

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

I prefer hermetically sealing my documents then placing them in a fireproof safe in the deep freeze.

yeah, I'm old fashioned like that

My 2012 Legacy has the oil filter up in between the exhaust pipes underneath the motor. Has to be one of the worst locations ever. Consequently, between that and having to remove the panel (or whatever it is underneath) I have had the dealer perform the changes thus far.

I am thinking having them put on an Ultra Filter so next time I can just undo the oil pan plug and change just the oil.

Last edited:
makes one wonder how we went for decades without receipts and no issues with dealers that now paranoia has most folks saving receipts and emailing copies to themselves. Just old school. While I do document when I do maintenance, I don't save receipts except those for business.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The Subaru could be the best designed car for an oil change. The filter and fill cap are up front. There is a hole in the protection plate under the engine so you can remove the drain plug. It takes more oil than most small 4 bangers to fill the pan.

I think the easiest car to do oil chance is MB engines, especially the W210(E-class from 1997 to 2003).

With a fluid extractor and oil filter cap wrench you can change oil and filter with dress cloth, without getting under the car, and not spilling a single drop of oil anywhere. Yes, the fluid extractor can be expensive to purchase, but it paid for itself within 1 or 2 oil changes. Then you have free tool to do ATF, bleeding brake ...

Of course, you need some old news paper to remove/install cartridge oil filter from its housing.

For cartridge filters, I use what I call the "dog doo method." grab the filter with your hand in a bag then wrap the back around the filter. No mess, everything stays clean.

As for your Subaru, did they finally get rid of the RING OF FIRE?

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
makes one wonder how we went for decades without receipts and no issues with dealers that now paranoia has most folks saving receipts and emailing copies to themselves. Just old school. While I do document when I do maintenance, I don't save receipts except those for business.

Indeed the dealership has not even asked what was the grade of oil used let alone filter brand or PCMO brand. I guess there would be no issues unless there are obvious signs of neglect and lack of maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back