OK, I admit it. I'm an oil snob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my truck back from the repair shop last night. They replaced the oil pan gasket, and necessarily had to do an oil change. I was not proactive in telling them what to put in on the refill, so I asked them when I picked it up. They filled it with Wolf's Head 15w40 and put on a CARQUEST Premium filter. I was fairly indignant about having a 15w40 in the truck, and a cheap one at that, and drove straight over to the Walmart and bought 3 gallons of RT6. I held off on buying a filter because I want a Fleetguard Microglass, and WM doesn't sell those.

But now that I've had a night to sleep on it, I'm thinking maybe I'll keep the Wolf's Head in it for maybe 6000 miles, then do an oil and filter change to the "good stuff". Might as well get the use of an oil change that I paid somebody to do. Maybe. If I have free hour one night, I might just dump that junk anyway, because I know it will continue to bug me.

See? I'm an oil snob.

What would you do?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I'd leave it in there and quit creating more work for yourself...

+1 Wolf's head is actually a pretty good oil. I wouldn't be concerned about it. As previously mentioned, run it for the summer and change it with whatever you prefer in the fall. No need to spend the extra money to replace it.

With the level of investment in an engine like a Cummins B, I'd make myself feel comfortable.

The "cheap" oil is almost certainly fine... but peace of mind has a value as well.

I used to be an oil snob, then I realized many conventional oils made today all exceed the specs my vehicles were built for.

So now I run the cheapest conventional fluids, change according to schedule and enjoy the $$ and time being saved
smile.gif

I know the feeling. I am usually a penny pinching type of person especially now getting close to retirement age. I am very picky when it comes to my ride, so that oil would definitely have to come out of there economics be dang.

I'm a wallet snob. Leave tha Wolf's Head in there and don't waste perfectly good oil and your money.

I understand that basically any rated oil is good. But when I acquire a new to me used vehicle first thing I do is decide what oil i'm going to run and change it right off. I don't know whats in there lol. I know it would be fine, but that's why i'm on this forum, if any oil was adequate then I wouldn't even be here speculating and learning, discussing oil always trying to push the limits, and upgrade to something better for the buck as we all do.

The Wolfs Head is more than likely better than Rotella, I know its cheaper. I have never had a good UOA from any SOPUS product as it seems to break down faster than many other lubes I've used.

Wolf's Head is owned and blended by Amalie Oil Co out of Tampa Florida (Used to be called Petroleum Packaging).I would say its OK oil,probably not on the level of a Shell or Delo,but ok nonetheless.

I don't think you're an "Oil snob", maybe someone set in their ways, someone who doesn't like "New", or unexpected? Maybe someone with an anxiety disorder? Do you have issues with control?

Anyways, those are questions for your therapist. With regards to your oil question, shops use an "all purpose" weight, and these days, 15w-40 just about covers it....probably just right for no one application, but in the range for most. Wolf's head is OK, it meets all specs. We obsess over oil brands here, but in actuality, really, they're all fine.

I'd change it out ASAP if the weight is significantly off from the manufacturer's rec and/or if the filter application..the model number...doesn't correspond to your engine, cross check the application number to make sure it's OK.

What I'd do is leave it in for a short interval and convince myself that the short interval is necessary in case they got any gasket material or any random (or imaginary) gunk in the oil. That's what I'd tell myself anyhow, because while the oil they gave you isn't something I'd consider junk in the least, it wasn't what you chose, or preferred.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I'm an oil snob too. I'm running Castrol Edge Gold in my lawn mower.

But I don't walk away from equity. Once I buy an oil filter, I use it no matter what the marketing guys here on BITOG say.

As such, use the Wolf's Head and enjoy it. And if it's this one, it looks like some good stuff anyway.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/wolfshead1540.htm

I checked out Wolf Head's website and saw that their 15w40 HDEO is a synthetic blend, so that satisfies my snobbery to some extent. I looked at the product data sheet, and it looks like that oil blend was introduced about a year ago. It's got a list of approvals from all the major manufacturers and has CJ4/CI4+ API ratings.

I'll try to tough it out for a few months anyway.

If you were truly an oil snob you would have Amsoil or Redline in your engine and change it every 3.000 miles.

You probably should.
No decent shop uses junk oil or filters.
There is no point in draining what is a perfectly serviceable oil just because it hasn't made it to your preferred list.
Run it until at least the fall and you can then revert to a grade better suited to the coming winter temperatures of a brand you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back