Stuck oil filter - im lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy,

my cub cadet LTX 1040 with Kohler 19hp racked up its first 50hours at the end of lawn mowing season last year.now before the spring its time to change it. Before draining the oil i tried to just crack the filter and then re-tighten it making sure it was able to get off. I have a pretty tight grip but I could not loosen it. So I get a filter wrench and that still didnt work. I tried other oil filter loosening tools and they also did not work. So i used my google-foo and tried some different methods.

I didnt have a belt so I used some rubber vacuum line and really gripped and nothing.
I didnt have string so I tried weed wacker line and tried that way to no prevail.

I went back to the oil filter wrench and really gave it some torque, which ultimately dented the can. I adjusted the wrench and that also dented the can. Urgggggghh.

So now I have a really dented can on all the possible mounting surfaces the wrench could possibly be on (at the bottom) - i did not try towards the top of the can (it sits vertical) but i can only imagine the same results would apply.

I am very frustrated and ready to give up and put it on my truck and let my trusted lawn mower mechanic tackle it. Is the screwdriver trick my last option? At this point I am not even confident that will work - it seems its just going to tear a whole in the filter.

Dumb on my part for it geting dented but I did not think it was on there THAT tight!
Thanks for your time.

Can you get a strap wrench in there? I would reserve the screwdriver as the last option. If the screwdriver tears all the way, then you will using a hammer and screwdriver or chisel to spin the base-plate off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
channellocks or those big oil filter vise grips?

I currently don't have channel locks in the garage but I know a buddy that does so I will see if I can borrow them. Didn't know oil filter vise grips were a thing. Bummer - wasn't looking to spend more money but I'll give them a go if I can't find any channel locks to fit.

Originally Posted By: widman
Run a screwdriver through it and twist. Messy but effective.

That's ideally last resort - as tight as this oil filter is on I really don't know if it's going to do the trick but I will give it a shot once I try other methods that might not produce such a mess.

Thanks all!

Stay away from the can part of the filter, you need to be gripping on the base (threaded end).

If your tool teeth arent strong enough to bite into the paint on the base there is a little trick.. sandpaper. Put a piece of sandpaper between the tool and the filter for a better grip.

Last but not least (omitting the screwdriver)...the filter is stuck due to the bond of the rubber gasket. If you can break that bond the filter will spin free easily. So take a single edge razor blade and work it between the gasket and the block and slide it all the way around the gasket.

Next time you are out buy a strap wrench for stubborn filters.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/toughone-engine-strap-filter-wrench-w173c/9013180-P

Originally Posted By: widman
Run a screwdriver through it and twist. Messy but effective.

+1 I would drive a screw driver through the filter and twist. It wont be pretty but I have done it plenty of times on impossibly stuck filters and it works.

When you say "oil filter wrench" does that mean a strap type? I've never encountered a filter that I couldn't eventually get with a strap wrench, and in fact have removed filters with a strap wrench where the "stab with a screwdriver" method just opened the filter like a Spam can. The difficulty is that sometimes getting the strap ON the filter is next to impossible.

I've used the screwdriver method many times. it usually works without fanfare, although it is messy. one time even that method totally decimated the can without moving it and I had to use the screwdriver and a hammer to spin the filter baseplate by putting the screwwdriver in one of the baseplate holes and hitting it.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I've used the screwdriver method many times. it usually works without fanfare, although it is messy. one time even that method totally decimated the can without moving it and I had to use the screwdriver and a hammer to spin the filter baseplate by putting the screwwdriver in one of the baseplate holes and hitting it.

Screwdriver through the can is just a messy way of tearing the can.
I had to use a hammer and chisel (not screwdriver) on baseplate holes to loosen one once.
Worked for me.

Sorry. When I say oil filter wrench i mean the strap kind. Stupid mistake of not doing it around the top of the filter but after giving it my all again, it just dented the top - not as bad but that filter does not want to come off. I will see if I can find a razor.

I am making sure I am making a CCW turn "lefty-loosey".

I will try to upload pics - looks like im going to have to upload them somewhere else and link them over? Cant find an option to just upload from my local phone/computer. I assure you though, the can is pretty fubar'd so the link the ratcheting filter probably will not work

I just uploaded the photos (2) of the oil filter. (It's bad...I know ...)

jeepwj19...

Big Channel Lock Pliers work like a champ if you have access, and it looks like you do.

Before using the screwdriver making a hole through the can (messy)

Use the screwdriver as a chisel on the rim of the can close to where it attatches to the engine.

Always works for me.

Yes, that is not in bad shape yet, just get a hold of it and twist, if it caves in more, just twist harder, I have practically crushed them 1/2 way through till they come loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back