Chain Garage vs DIY oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Buying gloves and rags? Clean-up sprays? I don't use gloves at all when changing oil. If my hands get oily, I just wipe them off on a rag. And speaking of rags, why would you pay money for them? I use old T-shirts, socks, and any other clothing items that's old, has tears in it, and is no good for any other purpose any more. I also don't need clean-up sprays. I have a system for oil changes that creates very little mess in the first place, and what little that needs to be cleaned up can be cleaned by wiping it down with a rag.
Storing ramps isn't an issue either. Even if I didn't do my own oil changes, I still need ramps for other repairs anyway.

I thought I was the only one who did this.

Financially speaking, these days you won't save any money DIY oil change when chains will do it for $20. The key is you have to find one you trust and have the will to resist the unnecessary service they suggest.

Used oil is nasty, you should use disposable nitrile gloves. Ebay, Walmart, HF, etc, sell them for $6-13 per box of 100. I recommend the 5 or 7 mil (HF has them). The 4mil rip easily when working on the car; it's more for light-duty tasks like painting. The really cheap ones are typically 3 or 4 mil.

This is one of the few cases where HF actually has higher quality stuff

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Financially speaking, these days you won't save any money DIY oil change when chains will do it for $20. The key is you have to find one you trust and have the will to resist the unnecessary service they suggest.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but MONEY has NOTHING to do with why I change my own oil and generally service my vehicles. The hireling cares not for the sheep.

I could fill 4 pages of posts of nightmare stories I've heard and read about service "technicians" doing more harm than good on other people's cars; from oil plugs cross threaded or loose, to falling out after going half a block (from a dealer, no less), to leaving the raised pan under a transmission while lowering a vehicle off a lift, to wheels falling off because the lugs weren't even hand tight, wrong oil being used, sabotaged fasteners because the "technician" didn't know how to loosen them....I could go on Ad Nauseum.

I honestly don't even LIKE changing my own oil. My user name is sincere, not sarcasm. I change my own oil so I can sleep at night; knowing it is done correctly. My vehicle runs best when I'm the only one who touches it. I don't even PARK next to other cars in a parking lot. I'm the guy at the far end in the corner so nobody dings my door with a shopping cart or bangs their leather purse with steel studs against my paint. And yes, my 13 year old car turns heads if I pull into a new car lot, which I have done to discuss a factory recall. I wonder how many other BITOGERS feel similarly?

My teen aged daughter lovingly calls me a car snob; but she knows Dad takes care of her and the car.

So please explain how me changing my oil for $2 (conventional) to $14 (Syn) is not saving money over a $20 + tax oil change?
I change it for less money and get a know quality oil and filter. They do it for more money, use bulk conventional oil (hopefully correct grade) and a jobber filter. Plus having to listen to their up-sell tactic. And wait for it to be done (if time is money like some some say for added cost for changing it yourself, then time is money sitting around waiting for it to be done by someone you pay).

Sure for many the chain is a cheaper option, but for many here, not so much.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

So please explain how me changing my oil for $2 (conventional) to $14 (Syn) is not saving money over a $20 + tax oil change?
I change it for less money and get a know quality oil and filter. They do it for more money, use bulk conventional oil (hopefully correct grade) and a jobber filter. Plus having to listen to their up-sell tactic. And wait for it to be done (if time is money like some some say for added cost for changing it yourself, then time is money sitting around waiting for it to be done by someone you pay).

Assuming your time is worth something, and assuming that you do not spend a lot of time finding free oil and free filter. You will not get $2 per gallon for oil and free filter.

Typically let's say you get your oil for $3 / qt, and $3 filter, which is already a bargain these days, you will typically spend $18 before tax for oil and filter, compare to $20 for people doing it for you is not much of a saving. You can get a ride instead of waiting for the oil change of course, but then again, it is up to you.

I do my own oil change but not because I'm saving money (I just like to play around with my tools).

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Assuming your time is worth something, and assuming that you do not spend a lot of time finding free oil and free filter. You will not get $2 per gallon for oil and free filter.

Typically let's say you get your oil for $3 / qt, and $3 filter, which is already a bargain these days, you will typically spend $18 before tax for oil and filter, compare to $20 for people doing it for you is not much of a saving. You can get a ride instead of waiting for the oil change of course, but then again, it is up to you.

I do my own oil change but not because I'm saving money (I just like to play around with my tools).

Yeah, but people on this forum aren't typical. You can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart now for $10.88 after rebate or a little over $2 a quart for synthetic. You're not going to find anyplace that does a synthetic oil change for $20. I still have a little $1 synthetic blend left from the Autozone clearance 2 years ago and got lots of synthetic last year for $2 a quart.

It basically boils down to the fact that you're not really saving much time by having someone else do it. You're just keeping your hands clean. I go to the gym so an oil change is just a little bit of extra exercise.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Sounds like you just have bad luck. There's also the bell curve. Worst thing I've had happen at a chain is that they put in 5 quarts when the car only held 4 and a couple of stripped drain bolts, but easily fixed with a new bolt.

The automotive repair and service industry is clearly an exception to the bell curve rule. I too have have almost nothing but trouble getting even the most simple and basic service done reasonably well.
One car had ALL front lug/studs and one rear stud cross threaded,
oil drain bolt cross threaded, ect THIS AT A HONDA DEALERSHIP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back