Lubricating/Greasin wheels? Stealership mumbojumbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
On vehicles I work on if the wheel is a PITA to get off.. I lightly brush on some antisieze around the hub center.

Without that rusting in place they never seem to get stuck.. and if so a couple light kicks gets em right off.

I dont like to grease the entire rear surface.. gets messy and can cause issues as well.

If I ever run into a really terrible one I would consider a very very light coating of antisieze.. where you are basically wiping 90% of it off after applying.

I just put antisieze where contact occurs. Pretty easy to tell--look where there isn't rust... Just a dab there, and around the center of the wheel, in the hub area (my Camry has a really tight interface there).

I figured out a good way to do it after screwing up multiple times.

Best is to apply a little dab by the studs then spread until a thin layer is created.

I used newspaper for spreading.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Stewie
I went to the stealership to checkout some wheels and I noticed that their maintenance schedule included lubricate/grease wheels!

So I am curious, what da **** do they actually do? Trying to kill me? I know it is not the brakes because that's not after 100k

15.gif

You should have asked them while you were there.
21.gif

Yeah but the person was a service rep who had no knowledge of mechanical work.

I used some heat transfer compound once. The white zinc oxide. it made a mess as it slung out all over the place.....

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I used some heat transfer compound once. The white zinc oxide. it made a mess as it slung out all over the place.....

The trick is to put little dabs between the studs base. NOT THE STUDS themselves

The trick is to put little dabs between the studs base. NOT THE STUDS themselves

so you went from asking what greasing wheels was to giving out advice in the same thread... good job.
13.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand

so you went from asking what greasing wheels was to giving out advice in the same thread... good job.
13.gif

thankyou2.gif

Trial and Error

48.gif

Not sure if anti seize caused it but my car vibrated a little on high speeds.

After checking the torque they were approximately 80ft/lb instead of 100ft/lb which was what I originally set it at.

Or maybe I set it to 80ft/lb in the first place and more noticeable after snow storm drifting. Felt like a true Japanese JDM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back