Subaru 6k recommended interval questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a fair amount of speculation online about why Subaru changed their recommended interval from 7.5k to 6k, but no definitive answers.

I am almost due for my second 0w20 change at 12k miles on my 15 Impreza. This car does not require makeup oil between intervals (can't say that for my previous Subaru).

If l get a UOA with 6k miles on the oil, would it be safe to stretch the intervals out to 8 to 10k based on analysis results? I don't see value in getting only 6k out of synthetic oil especially when some other manufactures recommend 10k.

Should l just follow the 6k intervals and call it a day? I have a fumoto valve and the oil filter is ridiculously easy to change on this vehicle.

I'm curious to hear what the BITOG crowd weighs in with.

Joe, you certainly could extend out your OCIs based on UOA results, but in the unlikely event you'd have some warranty issue where OC records are needed, things could get sketchy.

I hear you though. I'm on my second Subaru where 0w20 is recommended. I don't care to use this oil for only 6000mi, so I use 5w20 in my 2016 Forester. I'm at ~9000mi on my Forester. I changed out the factory oil at 5500mi. I haven't had to add any make-up oil at all. On my previous XV Crosstrek 5spd, I had to top it up from time to time. I used 0w20, 5w20 and sometimes 5w30 as top-up oil on that one.

Stick with the recommended interval until you are out of the warranty period. At that time, perform a UOA to see if you can safely extend the interval.

Maybe user the cheapest synthetic you can find that meets your needs? Do they make Supertech 0w20? if not, then QSUD should suffice at least until out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: Joe1
There is a fair amount of speculation online about why Subaru changed their recommended interval from 7.5k to 6k, but no definitive answers.

I am almost due for my second 0w20 change at 12k miles on my 15 Impreza. This car does not require makeup oil between intervals (can't say that for my previous Subaru).

If l get a UOA with 6k miles on the oil, would it be safe to stretch the intervals out to 8 to 10k based on analysis results? I don't see value in getting only 6k out of synthetic oil especially when some other manufactures recommend 10k.

Should l just follow the 6k intervals and call it a day? I have a fumoto valve and the oil filter is ridiculously easy to change on this vehicle.

I'm curious to hear what the BITOG crowd weighs in with.

Most people wait until about 20K miles before doing a UOA as anything odd in a UOA could be break in wear.

The savings to you by going to 7500 from 6000 will be minimal. I would go 6000 until the warranty is up.

Oil is cheap compared to any issue that might result if not following the OEM recommendations.

The worst thing that can happen by changing the oil too soon is the extra cost. The worst thing that can happen by going too far on your oil changes are????

Originally Posted By: CT8
The worst thing that can happen by changing the oil too soon is the extra cost. The worst thing that can happen by going too far on your oil changes are????

New engine????

I have my suspicions about Subaru's head gaskets and longer oil change intervals. I think the gaskets are poorly engineered, and they're trying to nurse cars past it being a warrantable repair.

There may be a different motivation, they've changed OCI's before, and I tend to be a conspiracy theorist.

Under warranty: stick to the manufacturer recommendations (or change sooner, aka "severe service")

After warranty: pay for TBN/TAN to determine appropriate interval

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Was the Severe Service OCI shortened too?

3,000 miles.
33.gif

P.S. - And I agree with JTK.

On N/A EJ engines, there are some people that go 10-15k miles on synthetic oil. I know one was a brand new 2012 Outback that immediately went with 12-15k mile intervals running Amsoil xW-30's.

It all depends if you're concerned about running into any warranty hassles and whether or not you're ok with looking to the oil company for recourse on a Powertrain warranty claim.

Do I think you could double your intervals with good uoa's? Absolutely! Will I, or any other bitog member, help you financially in the event the dealer doesn't have your back on a warranty claim? Doubtful.
grin.gif

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back