Tires for Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need new tires for my Tacoma. I want an all terrain tread. Thinking about Kelly Edge, Cooper AT3, or BFG Long Trail. Does anyone have any suggestions? My size is 265/70r16.

Thanks

Last edited:
Those are decent tires. Here are some other suggestions:
General Grabber STX
BF Goodrich Rugged Trail TA
Nitto Terra Grappler All terrain

There's also a Mickey Thompson Baja Radial STZ with a $100 rebate thru April 30.

I just put some Ohtsu tires on a prerunner. Cheap, good dry and wet traction. Ride well. Quiet. Like them better than the BF Goodrich TAs I had before.

BFG A/T's... I got 65k out of my last set. Put 4 brand new ones on my Taco a month ago...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rideon
I would like to buy American made.

Says the guy with 3 japanese cars. Those car companies might build some things in the US, but they receive japanese taxpayer money to unfairly compete and help sink american companies. Hurting the economy far more than us losing some [censored] factory jobs.

Look at the big picture and wise up.

All tire companies are global entities. There's really no such thing.

Last edited:
Check out some of the Mastercraft options..Good cooper made tire for a little less coin. We've ran numerous sets on our old dodge 12-valve farm truck...

Toyota creates more American jobs than the big 3. My Tacoma was built in America. A lot of the big 3 parts are sourced from outside of the US. Research it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cup of Joe
Several tires from the general are made in the US. General Grabber A/T2's are a good option in an all terrain tire.

That's one of my new favorites, and gets my vote. I had a 2008 Tacoma that I miss. I also had Cooper and BF Goodrich all-terrain tires that did well.

I would like to buy American made.

You should've said this in your description
smile.gif

Just keep in mind that companies often make tires in more than one factory, in more than one country, even for the same size sometimes.

The Grabber AT2 is US-made. I think the Terra Grappler is, too. Not sure about the Grabber STX. Can't find any info on the Mickeys, but MT is made by Cooper.

The Rugged Trail is made in the USA.

Are you sure the Cooper AT3 is made here, too?

I vote for the Goodyear Duratracs. They are a premium price tire but they last a long time and perform great in all conditions and terrains. I had a little over 37k miles on the set on my diesel before I traded it in and they still had probably close to half tread. That truck weighed 8660 empty with a full tank of fuel. The set on my Explorer has almost 20k miles and they still look new! And this summer when I replace the tires on my F150, I'll be getting Duratracs for it too.

Yes Coopers are USA made. I've had a set on the Xterra for 9K miles now, smooth ride, quiet, wearing well, good offroad traction here in SW terrain, can't comment on mud or snow. They do take a bit of a set overnight sometimes and it takes a couple of miles to smooth out. Very happy with them. With that rebate they're a good deal. The one in the pic took some weight to balance, they're beefy ATs and I went up a size. Good tire. No justification needed to buy USA when you can. Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc are not USA brands no matter how many jobs are here. Neither is FCA for that matter.
AT3_zpsukke3vuc.jpg

I need new tires for my Tacoma. I want an all terrain tread. Thinking about Kelly Edge, Cooper AT3, or BFG Long Trail. Does anyone have any suggestions? My size is 265/70r16.

Thanks

All three of these are nice looking tires if that's important to you and they all claim to be quiet, have good traction and decent tread wear.

Process of elimination for these three for me would be.
Are the BFG's going to be that much better for the extra cost? Coopers have rebate if you get them before April 15.
Can't find any reviews on the Kelly's, but I admit I like the way they look. Lots of reviews on the Coopers and there all good but a couple.

I went with the Coopers after a similar process of elimination between Dynapro ATM, General Grabber AT2 and the AT3. My truck called for LT's and the Coopers were one of the few that actually had a tread ware warranty on LT's plus there was a rebate going on. They are quiet, ride nice for an LT and good in the snow. I'm not a spirited driver so wet/dry traction works for me. I liked them so much I just put the CS5's on my Buick.

I bought a set of the Cooper HTP's for my 01 Tacoma same tire size around this time last year. Used a DiscTireDirect at ebay $100 off $400 promo, plus there was a Cooper rebate and since I got it price matched at local Disc. Tire store also got a rebate for using DT Care One card. Anyway, tires are great so far and deal was super.

I have no experience with the Cooper AT3, but based on my HTP experience and current promotions, I'd recommend the Coopers. The HTPs are made in the US, Texarkana plant iirc.

Currently Discount Tire Direct has $70 off AT/3 Cooper rebate, a current $40 off web instant savings, and another $40 rebate if you use their DT Credit Card on a set of four.

I'd say go to a Discount Tire b&m store and get a price match, but upstate SC, depending where Gastonia store might be closest. But Discount Tire Direct still a good option, and shipping included in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back