Good Drill Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had to drill out a couple of screws in a door hinge. Of course two bits broke!
Does anyone make a reasonable priced drill bit?
Thanks

I have a set of Milwaukee "jobbers length" that are US made and are my go-to bits for years.

if you just need something simple, figure the size you need and buy a single bit at HD or Lowes. Sometimes at my HD they have bits of various sizes on the clearance rack, unopened/unused for 50% off... Not sure why...

If youre drilling out something, you may need lube.

I bought some Hitachi Gold Oxide bits to drill the box frame on my custom-built utility trailer, and was very impressed with the performance of them.

They were reasonably priced as well.

Reasonable price (but good) bit? A cheap good one? I don't know about cheap,but Milwaukee drills seem good.

Goes without saying, but I will; less than optimal work piece holding is going to break a drill, good or bad.

I am assuming the hinge is still in place, hanging?

Last edited:
I have a set of Rigid USA made cobalt bits that I've had for years. Just needed to sharpen the 1/8" bit once. If you want USA made, Montana brand is one way to go.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Mac Tools warranties drill bits for life. Worth finding a dealer & buying them

Are ALL Mac drill bits warranted for life?
Just a few days ago, I attended a silent auction that a local church put on for raising money. One of the items was a set of Mac drill bits. The MSRP on them was ~$130 (I think) and I was almost tempted to write down a bid...until I saw that they were made in China. I passed.

One of the brilliant managers though he was saving the company money buying cheap bits that took 4 drill bits per hole as compared to quality drill bits that drilled 20 holes + per bit.

You can easily trash the most expensive bit drilling out a screw. In fact it is easier to break an expensive brittle cobalt bit when making the first cut vs a generic high speed steel. Use a cheap bit first until the hole is even, then use your good bits (if needed) to finish.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with buying 10 packs of 1/8 and 3/16 ten packs and using them as pilot bits. Also it took me years to learn to let the bit do the work and not to push too much. :grin2;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back