FWIW on molybdenum disulfide - my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know if the "Moly" oil additive products still contain molybdenum disulfide but every time I hear the name of the lubri-moly or liqui-moly I am taken back to my high school days around 1963 when I had a close friend that owned an old (at that time) 125cc Villers one cylinder 2-stroke engine motorcycle. The only way he could keep that bike from seizing up was to add some molybdenum disulfide additive. I can't remember if it was called lubri-moly or liqui-moly at the time but I do remember that the primary additive was molybdenum disulfide. You could even see it suspended in the fluid. When he added a bit of that to the oil/gas mixture it ran fine. If he just added 2 stroke oil it invariably would seize up after riding it for a while.
I don't use any of the Moly products today so I'm just sharing a bit of info that ya'll might find interesting.

An educated and well practiced welder mentioned molybdenum disulfide once during a class. He affectionately referred to its nickname, "liquid ball bearings". Nobody thought to ask him any details.

He did mention that it was discovered to corrode under heat and pressure.
"Guess what the fuel rod handling equipment in nuclear reactors is slathered with?", he asked. Kira

In the beginning they had trouble with it coming out of suspension supposedly and causing sludge and that sort of thing. I don't think that's a problem now it's a different kind of moly sulfide that they use.

Back in those days, I used to buy "MolySlip" in 8 oz cans to add to the oil. Worked great. Turned the oil black.

What I don't understand today is all the oils, mostly motorcycle oils, advertise they have "moly" added, but yet the oil is still clear. When I added Moly, the oil turned black.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Back in those days, I used to buy "MolySlip" in 8 oz cans to add to the oil. Worked great. Turned the oil black.

What I don't understand today is all the oils, mostly motorcycle oils, advertise they have "moly" added, but yet the oil is still clear. When I added Moly, the oil turned black.

They aren't using MoS2 in most modern oil, they're using a different form of Moly.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob

MoS2 (Molibdenum disulfide) turns the oil black. Organic Moly doesn't. I have used additives containing organic Molybdenum and it has the same colour as fresh oil. Nevertheless both types work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back