MagicJack, Vonage, Ooma, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
I am getting ooma next week. I can actually give great feedback as I work 100% telecommute and spend 4 hrs/week on phone or cell. Majority of time running a bandwidth intensive screen sharing so this will actually test the service under duress.

I normally just use infinite minutes Verizon cell but my wife insists we have a land line for my daughters and folks who do not have voice over LTE. For flip cells and non VoLTE absolutely no signal. (Verizon skipped out on my area on that)

I like the idea and convenience of always having a landline as a back up, part of the reason my wifes international call and her family can always have a landline number to call, though my wife uses both the landline and her cell phone overseas about 50/50.
Another reason, I dont give my cell number out to companies/businesses, I give my landline anyone calling that number can leave a message, I dont pick it up. My cell is for anyone I always want to be able to get through to me, anyone else can leave a message. :eek:)

As far as a stress test for Ooma, the stress test really wouldn't be valid for anyone else but your own network, meaning if you manage to "sink" Ooma into not working perfectly on your own network it would be your networks fault for not being able to handle the load, it wouldn't and shouldnt be a test for Ooma if your network is overloaded and can not provide the bandwidth needed.
Example, it would be like you not being able to search for something on google because your network is overloaded or "down", it wouldnt be googles fault if your computer could not get to google....

Last edited:
VoIP has a a massive weakness because the Internet is not designed to care if packets make it continuously. Different voip reacts differently in quality based on codec for sound, algorithms and also balancing delays. Some are simply way better at others. Not sure if vonage improved however in the past screens shares made it skip. However this did not happen as much over other services.

Hoping for the best....

I have ooma and found the quality quite good. I took their recommendation of installing the ooma between cable modem and my home router.

Under high stress of screen sharing (uploading) and using ooma I asked the folks in meeting about quality of voice and they said perfect. My upload speed is 5-6 Mbps which is enough for both services to work. I have 85 download but that has less importance.

Hi;
I get offers from WOOT, and just got an offer for OOMA TELO VOIP HOME PHONE SYSTEM $49.99 factory Reconditioned requires hi speed internet minimum 256kbps upstream, and handset. Just FYI. Don't know if this is a good deal or not.Thanks!

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
Hi;
I get offers from WOOT, and just got an offer for OOMA TELO VOIP HOME PHONE SYSTEM $49.99 factory Reconditioned requires hi speed internet minimum 256kbps upstream, and handset. Just FYI. Don't know if this is a good deal or not.Thanks!

Well , as stated earlier that`s the same system both me and Alarmguy are using and we are both very happy with it . The average price for a new not reconditioned is $99.99 at several places . I bought mine at Best Buy new. So your looking at half price on a reconditioned one. I would say if your ok with reconditioned than the price is totally adequate . Go to the Ooma website for any info you may need and read other online reviews. Jim

So after using for two weeks this is my findings. VOIP surprise still remains maybe 75-90% quality of land lines like cable or copper.

If both parties are on clear lines in and not using speakerphone or have background noise the conversations go well. If anything excess noise appears the service falters and hard to hear.

Ooma is only worth the $5/month fee. I'd have a hard time paying $10+/month for service I strain to listen to. Thankfully I have a iPhone 6 on Verizon VoLTE that offers incredible clarity.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Does madRiver have a weak connection somewhere... probably unrelated to Ooma equipment?

80 down/5 up with decent latency. The Ooma hangs off the xfinity cable modem between my home linksys router as recommended.

I have Ooma, and although it works pretty good now, it was quite a struggle for the first few weeks. Their tech. support had to make some changes to the way my calls are routed, and I had to bug my ISP about some connection issues.

The variation in internet connection speed and quality from one user to another makes it tough to choose based on feedback from others. My suggestion is to not cancel the existing phone service. Get the VOIP up and running with a number they issue, and try it for a few weeks and see how it works. If you are pleased with the service, port your existing number and cancel the old service.

My wife and I have been using an Obihai 200 VOIP device for several month without any issues and paid around $40.00 for it. Being retired on a fixed income every little bit helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back