Chevron is now 85 octane??

Status
Not open for further replies.
the barrel price is low, perhaps chevron spread their mapping of low octane (because of elevation) areas out to a more broad spectrum, I would rather a gas company drop the octane a titch in a high elevation area and keep an excellent additive package rather than skimp on the package to keep octane high. as has been stated octane doesn't = quality. But I have used 85 octane in my cars for 23 years of driving, well except when required for more like my outback H6 requires. but even then the numbers come under there recommendation you just take it with a grain of salt understanding what has been stated already higher elevation demands less octane to run detonation free, you only want to run enough octane that the car can run detonation free without any timing retarding from the knock sensors any more is just money burning
just my .02

Last edited:
'Regular' gasoline in Twin Falls has been 85 octane for a long time. Northern Nevada is higher, so one would expect to see 85 there, also.

What I've seen, and seen from respected Subaru ECU programmers as well, is that at least turbo Subarus lose power at high elevation. It appears to be a programming issue, but at least in some cases the turbo's compressor map is such that the turbo itself it can't keep up. Perhaps current models are different...

When I lived in Reno (4500'), the octane numbers were 87/89/91. I did find a record of filling with 85 in Elko.

If other stations in your area still have the old octane ratings, maybe Chevron's supplier changed. I used to buy 87/89/91 in Eastern Colorado. That station's gas came from farther east, in Nebraska. Other towns in the area had the lower octanes, and I always assumed they were supplied from Denver, where regular is 85. Those towns were slightly higher in elevation, too.

Quick update on an older thread. The Chevron 85 octane stickers are gone and 87 stickers are back. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back