Better Choice for Oil Consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for some advice with my current oil consumption issue. I just recently purchased a 2006 Infiniti G35 6MT, these cars come with the REV-UP engines and are known to be hard on oil and have high oil consumption. After doing my research I have went with the Mobil1 0w-40, I figured the a slighly thicker oil would help and with the warmer climate here. I have done about 2k Miles and burned a quart of oil. I was wondering if a 10w-30 would be a better choice with a lower NOACK?

That was a my first choice to try the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 while the Mobil rebate is still going on. On paper they seem to have almost the same viscosity.

Try the M1 HM 10w-30 or HM 10w-40. I have had success with both in different vehicles. In SC you would have no problem with those weights year-round.

One of my vehicles is hard on oil and I choose these because of the higher HTHS (3.5 for the HM 10w-30). M1 doesn't publish NOACK values, but they SHOULD be good, perhaps not as good as the PP, though. They do make a PP 10w-30 with a low NOACK, but not PP HM in that weight.

Last edited:
I'm going to use the new Maxlife Heavy Duty 15w40 Synthetic Blend (SN) in an '02 Forester N/A that leaks like a seive. The owner's manual says that 10w40 is ok.

I like M1 just fine but wouldn't be using to solve any consumption issues. It's about the only oil I've consistently read where users report consumption after switching over to it after using other oils. Usually these cars are at least 5yrs old with 100k miles or so.

Mobil 1 High Mileage is only API SL approved for engines 2004 and older. If your engine is burning oil, the high ZDDP content in M1 HM could DAMAGE your catalytic converters. DO NOT use M1 HM, just to be safe. The best alternative is Valvoline Full Synthetic with MaxLife or Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. Both are available in 10W-30 at Walmart.

Just keep adding oil. We work on a lot of these and there is not a magic fix for the issue.

I did not know that either about M1 High Mileage looks like i will either give Valvoline HM or Pennzoil HM a try. Interesting I can't find any information that Pennzoil makes a Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10w-30 but it does show Walmart has it on its site. If that doesn't fix the consumption in any way I'll just deal with it, Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted By: RussianTech
I did not know that either about M1 High Mileage looks like i will either give Valvoline HM or Pennzoil HM a try. Interesting I can't find any information that Pennzoil makes a Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10w-30 but it does show Walmart has it on its site. If that doesn't fix the consumption in any way I'll just deal with it, Thanks everyone!

I have always tried to warn people on this site about M1 HM's SL rating as nobody seems to be aware. I wasn't aware either until one day I picked up a jug of it that I had bought & noticed it was only SL. I returned it for MaxLife. It would probably be fine but it just isn't worth the risk in my opinion, I'm not going to chance it & I don't suggest anyone else does either. It's easily overlooked since there's nothing on the bottle that would indicate it's not safe for newer vehicles except for the small API donut. Easily overlooked!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Just keep adding oil. We work on a lot of these and there is not a magic fix for the issue.

^^^^^^^^ This. Stock up on the $2/qt AZone endofyear oil specials. That's my plan. I've enough oil on hand for as long as I will own the Kitacamry.

Originally Posted By: Branson304

I have always tried to warn people on this site about M1 HM's SL rating as nobody seems to be aware.

Most people are well aware of that and value it, not ignore it. BUT: Mobil 1 10w-40 HM, what was discussed, is SN rated, not SL:

http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.aspx

IME, the worry about the marginal theoretical aspect of cat damage (I have seen none in MANY years of use) vs. engine protection is overblown. And I think importantly, the M1 HM 10w-30 and 10w-40 are A3/B3 approved, a more robust standard than a lot of peer oils can meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back