NAPA Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think of them as a entry level filter with the best construction. As they are well made compared to many budget filters.

They are as good as the best in their price point. It won't be the reason you engine fails.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
I think of them as a entry level filter with the best construction. As they are well made compared to many budget filters.

True. I used to use them when they were cheap, but our local Napa stores have raised prices a lot. Now I go with a Motorcraft usually as it has better filtration and ADBV, and about the same price now. But I never had any complains with them at the "old" prices (2 years ago, say).

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Silver = ProSelect; IIRC

Not exactly. They are probably very close in spec and construction, but there are separate part #s, price points, and clearly different filters for many Silver vs. ProSelect fitments. There's some difference between them, but no one has ever got an answer from Napa or Wix what it is.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Silver=3000 mile OCI, max. Gold=7500 mile OCI'ish.

Oil or air filter interval? Or are you saying the silver lets so much more dirt in, that the oil needs to be changed at a SIGNIFICANTLY reduced interval?

I used to work for Napa-retired last Feb. Silver and ProSelect are the same. Silver is marketed to retail and ProSelect to wholesale side i.e. garages.

Originally Posted By: bmod305
I used to work for Napa-retired last Feb. Silver and ProSelect are the same. Silver is marketed to retail and ProSelect to wholesale side i.e. garages.

This is what I've heard, but the parts are different. E.G., the "Silver" 31334 is built differently than the "Pro-Select" 21334. Different base plate and other tell-tale obvious things.

I have little doubt they are fully functionally equivalent, just curious if there is any media difference - probably not.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: bmod305

This is what I've heard, but the parts are different. E.G., the "Silver" 31334 is built differently than the "Pro-Select" 21334. Different base plate and other tell-tale obvious things.

I have little doubt they are fully functionally equivalent, just curious if there is any media difference - probably not.

This thread is about air filters
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Oil or air filter interval? Or are you saying the silver lets so much more dirt in, that the oil needs to be changed at a SIGNIFICANTLY reduced interval?

When I worked for NAPA I asked the filter tech line the main difference of Silver vs. Gold. Gold has bigger contamination capacity than Silver oil filter, same for air filters. The 3000 mile & 7500 was their recommendation for oil filters.

Last edited:

Napa's site says 5k on Napa Silver and ProSelect oil filters.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Lol this is suppose to be an air filter thread. In the air filter section too.

Originally Posted By: Plawan
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Lol this is suppose to be an air filter thread. In the air filter section too.

You think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back