Chain Garage vs DIY oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a recent discussion a bitog member discussed now having to go to Firestone for his OC due to unforseen reasons. So I got to thinking and came up with a few benefits of doing so. I will use Firestone as the chain example.

Using a chain store isnt bad if you trust them. Yes you can get synthetic+filter cheap at WMart but you also have to buy gloves, paper towels or rags, cleanup sprays for any mess, clean that mess then yourself, not to mention the amount of time changing then dumping that oil at a store nearby and storing those rhino ramps. Meanwhile, Firestone will do it all for $19.99 using a great synthetic blend, and decent filter. Yes, i know you have to wait here as well.

If under warranty, you get the benefit of two receipts. One hard copy for you plus what is stored in their database. No need to worry if you lose your WMart receipt which are also prone to fade over time.

I know the satisfaction of diy is really nice but there are more ways to skin this cat and be satisfied. Just my two cents for those that always poopoo chain garages.

Thanks

I have pretty limited time off work, and would like to spend the least amount of time possible in a quick lube place.

When I leased a toyota, I had to take it there for service. Oil change ended up taking 90 minutes at least, plus they pushed me for services that were not necessary on a car I did not even own.

I now own both my cars, and they have no warranty. I do my own oil changes on them. Not a bad job in my garage, and I can sip a beer while it drains.

Once a year I stock up on about 4 jugs of oil, when it is on sale, and I buy about a years worth of filters on the rock auto sales as well.

I store the used oil in kitty litter plastic pails and take it to the recycling center up the road once a year.

Originally Posted By: 5170
In a recent discussion a bitog member discussed now having to go to Firestone for his OC due to unforseen reasons. So I got to thinking and came up with a few benefits of doing so. I will use Firestone as the chain example.

Using a chain store isnt bad if you trust them. Yes you can get synthetic+filter cheap at WMart but you also have to buy gloves, paper towels or rags, cleanup sprays for any mess, clean that mess then yourself, not to mention the amount of time changing then dumping that oil at a store nearby and storing those rhino ramps. Meanwhile, Firestone will do it all for $19.99 using a great synthetic blend, and decent filter. Yes, i know you have to wait here as well.

If under warranty, you get the benefit of two receipts. One hard copy for you plus what is stored in their database. No need to worry if you lose your WMart receipt which are also prone to fade over time.

I know the satisfaction of diy is really nice but there are more ways to skin this cat and be satisfied. Just my two cents for those that always poopoo chain garages.

Thanks

pretty much nailed it as to why I was letting the dealer change my oil. After the last time I lost some trust in there work.

Reasons why i DIY

1. Time. Extra time that i can let it drain, My garage is always open. i can do other work on the car while it drains, its just a huge time saver to do it myself.

2. Money. I always end up saving money. Even with capital investments like an oil extractor, cleanup supplies, whatever.

3. Quality Control. I'm not letting some random person with questionable training and skills touch my car.

4. Pride. I'm proud to be able to fix and maintain my vehicles.

I do understand the use of a Firestone or Walmart, but for my personal and expensive vehicles, i must be the sole greasy hand that touches it. Cheap old work vehicles i just send over to the walmart that i know people in.

I suppose if you live in the city and don't have the facilities to do it yourself or are not physically able, then that might not be a bad solution. But I don't have a desire to drive 20 minutes to get to a chain store, and then sit around and wait for it to be done. I can pick up the oil a week or two before I'm going to change the oil, put the vehicle on the lift the night before, and then have it done by 7:00 am the next morning. I can also combine the oil change with other planned maintenance, and take my time doing it if I so choose. I can also do multiple oil changes at the same time-if I hustle I can change all 6 vehicles/tractors in an hour or so.

It also gives me the opportunity to take a look under the vehicle while it's on the lift.

I have a 2015 X5 which is still under warranty that also came with 50,000 miles of free oil changes. I find it a bigger bother to take it in than I do to change it myself. Half the time I have to reschedule the appointment because of something that came up from the time I scheduled to the time I have to take it in.
As to the chain garages, no way. You might find a good tech, but I'm not taking those chances. I have seen too many minimum wage employees who don't care about their own cars, so I highly doubt they will care about my car the same way I will. I've heard one too many horror stories I guess.
Dealer or myself. No other options.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Reasons why i DIY

1. Time. Extra time that i can let it drain, My garage is always open. i can do other work on the car while it drains, its just a huge time saver to do it myself.

2. Money. I always end up saving money. Even with capital investments like an oil extractor, cleanup supplies, whatever.

3. Quality Control. I'm not letting some random person with questionable training and skills touch my car.

5) I just flat ENJOY it and find it relaxing. I like tinkering on cars and get bored if I don't have a job to do every so often.

That works for regular cars, but I've had to wait a while for oil changes before so I'd rather know that I can do it myself instead of waiting anywhere from 30-90 minutes. Plus my current oil change requires 8.5 quarts of synthetic plus a cartridge filter so that would cost me anywhere from $80 at an indy to $300 at the dealer. I've stocked up on oil when it was on sale so it costs me under $30 to do it myself.

I looked at the Firestone ad, and it was Quaker State green bottle conventional for $19.99. Where are you seeing the synthetic blend for that price, and what brand is it?

I have some Clark Tire shops close by that use Kendall GT blend, but they charge $29.99 for that plus a $3 disposal fee, but it does include a tire rotation plus all fluid checks and brake inspection.

DIY isn't about saving money, it's about knowing what's being used and knowing it was done right. It seems everyone has war stories about shortcomings of basic service centers.

Fading receipts should be illegal. They say it lasts for 5 years. Never seen one to get to 1, even inside envelopes. If you dont get a copy ...

Receipt fading is due to heat. Keep your receipts in the cool dry house and out of sun light and they shouldn't fade.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I looked at the Firestone ad, and it was Quaker State green bottle conventional for $19.99. Where are you seeing the synthetic blend for that price, and what brand is it?

I have some Clark Tire shops close by that use Kendall GT blend, but they charge $29.99 for that plus a $3 disposal fee, but it does include a tire rotation plus all fluid checks and brake inspection.

Im the one OP is talking about. I thought it would be QSGB too but they haven't all switched over from GT-1 yet. I changed the oil yesterday and it was $25 total with Kendall GT-1 blend. They're 5 min from the house and it took 45 min. The work was well done i must admit.

Originally Posted By: BigD1

Im the one OP is talking about. I thought it would be QSGB too but they haven't all switched over from GT-1 yet. I changed the oil yesterday and it was $25 total with Kendall GT-1 blend. They're 5 min from the house and it took 45 min. The work was well done i must admit. No oil on the under-tray and filled exactly to "full" line. I'm happy.

Why?

Loose or punctured filters...I've had both. The wrong oil or filter put on the car. How about no new oil or filter put on the car? Over-tightening components, including stripping threads. Overfilling or under-filling. I'm sure there are many more. If you are 100% confident in the Quick Lube's mechanical skills, then have at it. I like to drain longer than they do. I also like to pre-fill the oil filter, something they don't usually do. I've had oil stains left on my seats, carpets, inner door panels, steering wheel, etc. How about boot scuffs on the door sills? Oil fingerprints left all over the hood. On one trip, they spilled so much oil on the car frame (and didn't clean it up), that we inadvertently dripped oil all over our neighbor's nice new driveway (they were not happy). I've also had scratches put on my car when they go into dealerships for service, including the Quick Lubes.

So there are some potential negatives. Most of the time you're probably fine. I've done it both ways for years.

BigD1 - yes, I saw that too but wemay's sig showed Kendall so I figured it was as he later stated. They probably haven't switched all the stores over to Quaker St and Pennzl Plat yet.

69GTX - That's my point, the horror stories are exceptions. I, like you, change oil both ways too.

Are the horror stories exceptions? My mom had the wrong filter put on and blew up her Toyota. They replaced the engine but it was a mess. My sister had the drain plug come loose and drain all the oil out. My brother had lug nuts come loose and damage the wheel and studs. Sounds more like inevitabilities vs exceptions.

Last edited:
DYI because if there is a mistake it is my mistake and there will be no one to blame other than myself.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Are the horror stories exceptions? My mom had the wrong filter put on and blew up her Toyota. They replaced the engine but it was a mess. My sister had the drain plug come loose and drain all the oil out. My brother had lug nuts come loose and damage the wheel and studs. Sounds more like inevitabilities vs exceptions.

Sounds like you just have bad luck. There's also the bell curve. Worst thing I've had happen at a chain is that they put in 5 quarts when the car only held 4 and a couple of stripped drain bolts, but easily fixed with a new bolt.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Reasons why i DIY

I do understand the use of a Firestone or Walmart, but for my personal and expensive vehicles, i must be the sole greasy hand that touches it. Cheap old work vehicles i just send over to the walmart that i know people in.

Well, that says it all and that's exactly why I have always done my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back