225/75-16 light truck tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be looking for some new tires for my '98 E-250 van soon. Mostly I need a decent highway ride, and decent load carrying capacity. I'm a little confused about all the choices. I assume that big names like Yokohama, Michelin, General, etc. are OK, but what about a Kumho Crugen HT51? or a Sumitomo Encounter HT?

I don't need snow traction, and I don't plan to go more than 75 mph. Right now I have some cheap Chinese no-name (Joy Road) tires that haven't been terrible nor great. I'm looking for something better to replace them with.

My Highlander wears 225/70/16 and I've been buying the "Prodigy" tires from Americas Tire Co to put on her. They are quiet, ride good, and last at least 40-50k miles, are made in the USA, and are about $71 each.

I'd recommend them over and over again.

Edit: Never mind, they don't have them in your size. They are a great tire though....

Cooper AT3s are great tires that come in your size, but sounds like you don't need an AT.

When you say 'decent' load carrying capacity, are you saying that you'd entertain the idea of using a non-LT-metric tire? Because your ride will improve substantially if you're not on an E- load range tire...

Sounds like most any name brand tire would be an upgrade from what you are using now. Don't know how you could go wrong with the correct tire from any name brand...

Since this van takes Load Range E tires from the factory, that is all I would consider putting back on it.

As far as the treadwrights go, I guess I'm failing to see the need for an aggressive all terrain tire here, let alone a retread?

I put Michelin - LTX M/S2 on my Jeep. They should have them in the size you need (mind are 235/75/15). I've had them for about 6,000 miles. 70k treadwear warranty, great on the highway, terrific rain/snow traction. And cost wasnt that much considering how nice of a tire it seems to be.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
As far as the treadwrights go, I guess I'm failing to see the need for an aggressive all terrain tire here, let alone a retread?

Because that's his 'one size fits all' solution for everything.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
When you say 'decent' load carrying capacity, are you saying that you'd entertain the idea of using a non-LT-metric tire? Because your ride will improve substantially if you're not on an E- load range tire...

No, I really need LT tires.

You definitely need a load range E tire. Do not put a p-metric tire on. We have had really good treadwear on our 3/4 and 1 ton Chevy and Ford vans on Firestone Transforce HT's. They wear well and good pretty good snow and wet traction.

Sounds like most any name brand tire would be an upgrade from what you are using now. Don't know how you could go wrong with the correct tire from any name brand...

Since this van takes Load Range E tires from the factory, that is all I would consider putting back on it.

The Warden is not especially aggressive...and Treadwright tires really ARE that good.

The OP states primary needs are good highway ride, good load carrying capacity, and snow traction is not important.

Choosing an AT tire doesn't seem like a logical fit for that application, and I know I wouldn't choose one given those constraints. Whether the AT tire is an aggressive tread or not becomes a moot point right there.

I saw one recommendation above for the Firestone TransForce. We've had decent service with the TransForce HT in fleet use, though winter/snow traction is poor. Since that isn't a concern, here, it would be decent choice at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

The Warden is not especially aggressive...and Treadwright tires really ARE that good.

Are you SERIOUS?

Any of the tires you mentioned will be fine. And Kumho and Sumitomo are decent tires
smile.gif

I assume there is a price range to stay within..?

I'd go either the Firestone Transforce HT or Hankook Dynapro HT RH12.

(looking from TireRack's website)

^We've had a BUNCH of Hankooks come OEM on our company E-250s, mostly LT245/75R16 load range E-they are almost impossible to wear out-we've seriously had them approach 100K miles & still have tread left!

Last year i took off my P 245/75R16 and put them away and instaled LT225/75R16 and a bit stiff ride and less bounce over bumps but love em.I had no issuses with them and i keep them pumped to 43 psi.The only thing is i cant drive faster than 70 mph as they are E rated but im in no hurry anyways.

Originally Posted By: Indy
Last year i took off my P 245/75R16 and put them away and instaled LT225/75R16 and a bit stiff ride and less bounce over bumps but love em.I had no issuses with them and i keep them pumped to 43 psi.The only thing is i cant drive faster than 70 mph as they are E rated but im in no hurry anyways.
Load range E doesn't mean you can't drive over 70 mph. Most of them are rated for over 100 mph.

What's the speed rating on your tires?

They are Q rated..but i read somewhere these tires couldnt go past 70 75 mph..The tires i have are motomaster LT 225/75R16 Load range E and speed rating Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back