UOA 2002 Mazda Protege

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a UOA from my Protege. It was run with Castrol Edge 10w30 black bottle for 5k miles driven mostly in traffic to and from work. A restore additive was used about 2 oil changes ago in an attempt to see if piston rings were causing oil consumption we couldn't trace. After adding the restore the Oil pan gasket started to leak fairly heavily. Replaced the oil pan gasket and no more consumption. This may be leftover or it may be actual bearing wear. Will check back on my next oil change. My iron seems to be low however which is good.

What does TR mean on fuel? Trace?

igav4j.jpg

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
This is a UOA from my Protege. It was run with Castrol Edge 10w30 black bottle for 5k miles driven mostly in traffic to and from work. A restore additive was used about 2 oil changes ago in an attempt to see if piston rings were causing oil consumption we couldn't trace. After adding the restore the Oil pan gasket started to leak fairly heavily. Replaced the oil pan gasket and no more consumption. This may be leftover or it may be actual bearing wear. Will check back on my next oil change. My iron seems to be low however which is good.

What does TR mean on fuel? Trace?

igav4j.jpg

yea it means trace

Those FS engines have the cam riding right on the solid lifters. Yes they are non hydraulic tappet. It is a modern engine that benefits from more ZDDP even though the valve spring tension is nothing to stiff. I have done about 10 UOA's on our 1 owner 2001 Protege ES 2.0 in the past 270,000 miles. RTS 5W40 consistently gave me the best UOA's hands down. In the winter, I have used various flavors of 0W40 like M1, RTS and JD+40, all with good UOA's. I also use a slightly larger oil filter; one for a 2001 Millennia. This way I can use a full 4 quarts without overfilling. The larger filter has the same bypass rating and diameters. Its just 1.5" longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back