2015 CR-V, Factory Fill, 6,570 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading many threads arguing when to dump the factory fill, OLM algorithms, measurable composition of Honda's factory oil and fuel dilution, I could not resist spending $38 for this inital UOA, knowing that actual data will reinforce some views and be dismissed by others, and that some will believe I wasted my money. My net takeaway is to follow the OLM certainly during the warranty period and find opportunities for more freeway cruising (LOTS of local stop and go since acquisition at the end of last June).

Blackstone's comments (in italics merely to distinguish text), follow before my first attempt at a code block on this forum:

The high wear metals and silicon are not unusual finds in the oil from your new CRV. The wear is high due to break-in of new parts, while silicon is from sealers used in the factor. Averages show typical wear metals after about 8,000 miles of oil use. We expect your engine will look that good or better after a few oil changes. Hondas tend to wear quite nicely in our analyses, and we expect yours will too once it's past wear-in. The small bit of fuel dilution is fine - it's harmless and likely from the stop and go mentioned. Check back in 8,000 miles or so to look for improvements.
Html:
Oil Type/Grade Factory Fill

Miles in Use 6,570

Unit Miles 6,570

OLM 10%

Sample Date 16 Mar 16

Aluminum 33

Chromium 1

Iron 37

Copper 21

Lead 0

Tin 0

Molybdenum 665

Nickel 1

Maganese 11

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 10

Boron 110

Silicon 211

Sodium 14

Calcium 1,837

Magnesium 13

Phosphorus 690

Zinc 770

Barium 3

Values S/B

Insolubles Pct 0.1 0.6

Water Pct 0.0 0.0

Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Fuel Pct 1.3
Flash Point ºF 350 >375

SUS VIS @ 210ºF 50.7

cSt @ 100ºC 7.48

TBN 2.1 >1.0

Kevin

The Fe, Cu and Al really are not that high for that number of miles on a new engine. To me this just demonstrates how far modern machining and coating's have come. If we would have had a sample from something 25 years ago I bet it would be way more disturbing. Nothing in this sample is disturbing at all. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: atxmazdahonda
I assume from your signature the factory fill was 0W20?

I don't know, but assume as much since that's what is recommended by Honda. The viscosity was within nominal spec of what I understand is the range for a 20 weight oil. Lots of short trips, tho' I did drain the oil at operating temperature.
Kevin

Nice. My moms got a 15 CRV to. We ran the factory fill till 9500. Wish we would have done an analysis. Got almost 16k on it, its gonna start using synthetic after the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Nice. My moms got a 15 CRV to. We ran the factory fill till 9500. Wish we would have done an analysis. Got almost 16k on it, its gonna start using synthetic after the next oil change.

9,500 ... wow; do you recall the OLM %?
Kevin

The dealership is 30 miles away. It had been at 15% for about a week. By the time we got to Topeka it was at 10%. My mom lives right next to the interstate. So in about 3 minutes she is doing 80 on I70. So most all the driving was Interstate/Highway

Last edited:
I have a 2015 Civic LX I purchased in December 2015 that still has the factory fill in it. I also have a 2015 Mazda 3 that I purchased in November 2015 that I just did my first oil change on. Mazda's oil has a lot of Molybdenum in it as well. Their user manual specifies using Mazda 0W20 oil with the Moly in it for best mileage results (made by Idemitsu), or using Castrol. I filled my Mazda 3 with Castrol Magnatec 0W20 on the first oil change, and I have 4 quarts+ of it left so I will put that in the Civic when I change it. However, after that, I think I am going to buy the Mazda oil by the case and use it in both vehicles since it has the moly in it.

That is a nice report. The only thing to mention is silicon above 200, although 300 is what I would personaly consider too high, something to warrant by itself an oil change.

It is nice to know that the main contaminant in modern engine's break in oil is sealant silicone rather than iron or copper or aluminum.

Originally Posted By: nickolas84
That is a nice report. The only thing to mention is silicon above 200, although 300 is what I would personaly consider too high, something to warrant by itself an oil change.

It is nice to know that the main contaminant in modern engine's break in oil is sealant silicone rather than iron or copper or aluminum.

Yes, I'm satisfied and the car itself has zero issues so far. I've not touched the air cleaner box so am reasonably certain it's still sealed but mean to check soon.
Kevin

I just changed the oil in my moms CRV yesterday. That oil that the Honda dealership came out really Dark brown almost black. That was after 3K miles. I really dont care for the stuff they put in at the dealership and ask you to run it almost 10k.

Can you buy the engine air filter yet? Ive been looking for it online but it looks like its a new model so theres not much out yet.

I
Can you buy the engine air filter yet? Ive been looking for it online but it looks like its a new model so theres not much out yet.

Yes: OEM PN: 17220-5LA-A00
There are a number of online dealers who sell it cheaper than my local dealer who charges at least list price. I can't remember this moement where I got it.
Kevin

I just changed the oil in my moms CRV yesterday. That oil that the Honda dealership came out really Dark brown almost black. That was after 3K miles.

Why would it be so ?
confused.gif

Any clue ?

Pick up our new Accord tomorrow, I know Honda says to leave oil in till 15%. I am planning on changing the oil filter at least on time and add what it takes to make up the oil lost. Any words of approval or disagreement?

Im guessing the factory fill oil is just really dark and contaminated the oil a bit.

Fair enough, some brand new unused oils simply comes with a shade of gray/dark .... such as HDEO's.

Originally Posted By: tmus2122
Pick up our new Accord tomorrow, I know Honda says to leave oil in till 15%. I am planning on changing the oil filter at least on time and add what it takes to make up the oil lost. Any words of approval or disagreement?

No, don't change oil filter in middle of an OCI. Honda recommends filter changed only on second oil change for a reason.

Very few Honda cars need to change oil filter at every oil change, S2000 is one of them and it has specific oil filter for itself, not generic oil filter for other cars. Generic Honda oil filter is needed to be used few thousands miles to improve efficiency.

Glad to see another break-in Honda UOA. Ive got one for my '15 HAH and one for our '14 Odyssey. All are these high Mo oils, and your CR-V, like my HAH, is showing decent amounts of fuel.

I have done it but it really makes little sense to do a UOA much before 15K miles. Numbers don't mean much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back