Motor oil as a CLP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I know people have talked about using motor oil as gun lube, but what about a CLP.

Has anyone taken a gun that was really dirty from a day of shooting, used nothing but motor oil as the cleaner AND lubricant?

I used starter fluid to clean my guns after shooting. It cleans and dries quick. I think WD40 does a awesome job of lubrication and protection. Seems too many people are over thinking this.

ATF is better. I keep used ATF as a bulk cleaner.

I keep a gallon milk jug with the last transmission pan drain I did in it. Since I do them every 30k, the fluid is not that bad. I use it for cleaning nasty items, then wash that off. Works great and is free.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I used starter fluid to clean my guns after shooting. It cleans and dries quick. I think WD40 does a awesome job of lubrication and protection. Seems too many people are over thinking this.

Yup...

WD40, in my experience is a good cleaner, but mediocre to awful in other regards for firearms. It lubes only okay, and it can dry into a sticky varnish over time. My pops used it for his guns, and eventually it gummed them up quite a bit. If you do not want to overthink gun lubes, Breakfree CLP or Rem Oil are your easily attainable (Wal Mart stocked)options.

Oh yeah lighter fluid is awesome cleaner. I like the smell too
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

WD40, in my experience is a good cleaner, but mediocre to awful in other regards for firearms. It lubes only okay, and it can dry into a sticky varnish over time. My pops used it for his guns, and eventually it gummed them up quite a bit. If you do not want to overthink gun lubes, Breakfree CLP or Rem Oil are your easily attainable (Wal Mart stocked)options.

Yed. WD40 gums up and attracts water causing problems in long run. Turbine or motor oil works better.

I have used many things, and the latest and best is Liquid Wrench L104 foaming penetrating oil. It needs time to penetrate the residue so it isn't as fast as brake cleaner or starter fluid.

Motor oil and ATF smell horrid indoors and rust prevention is very questionable. I would never put either in my guns.

If one spends on-average $500 for his pistol, what's $100 for a lifetime of gun store top-shelf cleaner and lubricant/preservative added? Most of us only shopot a handful of magazines each years anyways. No, I'm not talking about cops here and their need to shoot bi-weekly. I'm talking the 99% Average Joe pistol,owner, not the 1% that come here every-other-day, or other forums on guns.

The store cleaners and lubricants/preservatives are what we-all should be using, unless one is unemployed and rubbing two nickels together via welfare / government assistance.

Last edited:
In 1990, I bought my first gun, a S&W 5906.

I went to the Navy Exchange and bought a small (2oz) bottle of gun oil.

I finished up that bottle two years ago. A moment of reminiscing as I looked at the faded price tag ($0.98) and realized when I had purchased it.

Used properly (a drop in each place that the manufacturer recommends in the manual), gun oil lasts a very, very long time.

Exactly!
There is product out there today that's completely safe to breath and touch, without any foul chemical smell and having high flashpoint.

Keep the motor oil and Hoppes #9 away from guns and all the toxicity of body contact with both very popular products. Just begin today by saying "No More". Our health deserves better treatment than those two products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Motor oil and ATF smell horrid indoors and rust prevention is very questionable. I would never put either in my guns.

If one spends on-average $500 for his pistol, what's $100 for a lifetime of gun store top-shelf cleaner and lubricant/preservative added? Most of us only shopot a handful of magazines each years anyways. No, I'm not talking about cops here and their need to shoot bi-weekly. I'm talking the 99% Average Joe pistol,owner, not the 1% that come here every-other-day, or other forums on guns.

The store cleaners and lubricants/preservatives are what we-all should be using, unless one is unemployed and rubbing two nickels together via welfare / government assistance.

Virgin motor oil IMO has almost no smell. What has a pretty foul smell is Ballistol, and that stuff is safe enough to put on a cut.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
In 1990, I bought my first gun, a S&W 5906.

I went to the Navy Exchange and bought a small (2oz) bottle of gun oil.

I finished up that bottle two years ago. A moment of reminiscing as I looked at the faded price tag ($0.98) and realized when I had purchased it.

Used properly (a drop in each place that the manufacturer recommends in the manual), gun oil lasts a very, very long time.

2oz of gun oil in ~26 years, you must shoot VERY rarely.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Exactly!
There is product out there today that's completely safe to breath and touch, without any foul chemical smell and having high flashpoint.

Keep the motor oil and Hoppes #9 away from guns and all the toxicity of body contact with both very popular products. Just begin today by saying "No More". Our health deserves better treatment than those two products.

I've been using Hoppe's #9 since I was a kid. Hoppe's #9 has probably cleaned more guns that all other cleaners combined(for civilians), I know the military used CLP.

This thread is obviously not going as expected.

Actually, I shoot quite a lot. I have a range membership and generally go through several hundred rounds a month. I still shoot on the Government's dime now and then, but not as often as I used to...it's mostly on me.

But, I had bought other oil bottles, a few oz. here and there in the interim.

Even if I hadn't - considering the roughly 6 drops that it takes to oil a gun like my S&W properly, 2 OZ becomes a few hundred instances of proper lubrication...so it lasts a very, very long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman

This thread is obviously not going as expected.

When do BITOG threads ever go as expected?

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Oh yeah lighter fluid is awesome cleaner. I like the smell too
shocked.gif

Starting fluid= Ether is an excellent solvent and smells good, dries quick and give you a [censored] of a buzz if not properly ventilated.

Lighter fluid= various light napthas, smells ok, doesn't dry very quick and is an alright solvent for most things.

Is there anything more toxic or dangerous than open container lighter / starter fluids at the inner-house work table?

Why not stop at the airport and request 8oz of jet fuel too?

I love using Hoppes #9 on all my guns.Especially on my Stevens shotgun that used to be grandpas 64 years ago when he bought it new. I love tradition. Hoppes #9 and Remoil or Hoppes oil is all I need.

You are hanging on to a unhealthy tradition Brad. If our country leaders held on to tradition, all or big cities would be ridden in smog and pollution, much like what we are seeing in China these days.

There are traditions to keep and traditions to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back