Oil Pan Magnet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to attach a magnet to the outside of my oil pan. Unfortunately, my pan is made of aluminum so the magnet won't stick. If I secure the magnet to the pan with JB-weld, would the magnet still be effective with a non-magnetic material (aluminum) between it and the oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
What type of vehicle is this? Can you attach the magnets to the oil filter instead or is it a cartridge type oil filter.

It is a 2003 Jetta and it has a cartridge filter. I had an extra transmission magnet laying around so I came up with this idea. Not sure how thick the pan is.

It certainly won't do any harm, and vw ally pans aren't that thick so it may do some good. Or if you use a decent filter there won't be anything to catch anyway..

How to you plan on cleaning and discarding what the magnet traps? I'd get a filter magnet instead, or a magnetic drain plug so you have a way to clean and/or discard the metal the magnet traps.

If you fix the magnet right next to the drain plug and remove it before you drain, everything will come out. Filtermag may not fit around cartridge filter holder. Magnetic drain plug is a good idea
smile.gif

I've seen a few people make their own magnetic drain plugs if one wasn't available for their application, by drilling and press fitting a strong magnet into their existing drain plug. If a filter magnet is not an option and I wanted a magnet to catch metal I'd either buy or make a magnetic drain plug.

Search "neodymium magnets" on Amazon or Ebay - stick one of those on the end of your drain plug - mission accomplished.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Search "neodymium magnets" on Amazon or Ebay - stick one of those on the end of your drain plug - mission accomplished.

+1 actually does work very well

Originally Posted By: bigt61

With the added benefit that the drain plug magnet can be cleaned on each oil change where the magnet on the pan would collect stuff that can't be cleaned without a pan drop.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
I had an extra transmission magnet laying around so I came up with this idea.

Any transmission magnet I've seen is not very powerful if you want to do this I would look for a stronger mag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back