Incessant wiper blade chatter - Bad windshield?

Wow great info, Trav. Thank you! I'll play with the arms and report back.

Regarding the Rain-X, the wipers chattered before I used it and after.

I have searched for years for wiper blades that work well both summer and winter, don't chatter, and do a good job clearing. The best I have found are Michelin Stealth blades. I can't explain why, but they don't chatter and they last and last. Both cars in my household have blades more than a year old--with others I usually have to replace at least once a year. These have been on all winter long too, through ice and snow. They cost a bit more but are worth it, IMHO. I do use Rain X washer fluid too.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I learned this over 40 years ago when I was a young mechanic, easy fix but not everybody knows it.
I use a piece of tape as not to scratch the paint which will lead to rust, this video is applicable to most cars.

Well thanks Trav.

Mine started to chatter on the downstroke when I put on new wipers. I bought the wipers from rockauto on clearance. I thought they might have been bad wipers - old rubber? Maybe this is the issue.

Strangely though - mine don't chatter at all in no rain or light rain. After about 5-10 minutes in heavy rain they chatter like all heck on the downstroke.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I learned this over 40 years ago when I was a young mechanic, easy fix but not everybody knows it.
I use a piece of tape as not to scratch the paint which will lead to rust, this video is applicable to most cars.

I just did it this morning. It works like a charm.

Put the wipers in the up position and turn the key off leaving them up on the windshield.
Put a piece of masking tape on the arm about 2 inches from the blade as not to scratch the arms finish.
Use a small adjustable wrench and tweak the arm clockwise slightly if it chatters going up and CC if going down. Do slight tweaks until the chattering stops, it should only take a couple of min and its permanent.
Cool tip. First time this old man has heard of this tweak. I'm going to try this on my car. (and yes I know this thread is 5 years old)

Back