Buying brake lines from the parts store. Thread sp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to replace some of the hard brake lines for my 1998 Toyota 4Runner. I know the lengths that I need and also that the lines are 3/16" M10x1.0 thread with a 45 degree Japanese flare.

However, when I go look at all the pre-made straight lines from the parts store, they often only spec the line thickness (eg. 3/16") but never what the thread specs are. The end fittings look about right, but no way to know for sure. Am I overthinking this, or are there specific things to look for when buying pre-made brake lines?

I've been to all the local parts stores (Canadian Tire, Partsource, Napa, Autovalue) and all their pre-made lines lack thread info. They usually only list the size in the tag. Sometimes, it will also say "Japanese", or "British", etc... but those seem to be one off pieces here and there.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Go to the dealer.

Toyota is probably different but on most Ford applications, hard lines are noted with a blue star in our cataloging which means "acquire locally"

Originally Posted By: nobb
I'm looking to replace some of the hard brake lines for my 1998 Toyota 4Runner. I know the lengths that I need and also that the lines are 3/16" M10x1.0 thread with a 45 degree Japanese flare.

However, when I go look at all the pre-made straight lines from the parts store, they often only spec the line thickness (eg. 3/16") but never what the thread specs are. The end fittings look about right, but no way to know for sure. Am I overthinking this, or are there specific things to look for when buying pre-made brake lines?

If your old lines rusted out you should replace with copper-nickel, but you will probably have to make the lines yourself.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: nobb

If your old lines rusted out you should replace with copper-nickel, but you will probably have to make the lines yourself.

You'll have to cut a part of the old lines off and bring it to the parts store and see what they have for your application. I need to do the same for a 97 civic this summer.

Do you have the flaring tool? I think CT and Partsource have them on the loan a tool program.

Originally Posted By: JC1

You'll have to cut a part of the old lines off and bring it to the parts store and see what they have for your application. I need to do the same for a 97 civic this summer.

Do you have the flaring tool? I think CT and Partsource have them on the loan a tool program.

I've bought pre-made lines before, I just got the ones labelled "Japanese". That was a while ago. Now their inventory just seems like a mess with no specs listed. Of course when you ask the parts counter guys they have no reference source or knowledge of these products either. So I was curious if there are that many different thread specs for 3/16" sized lines.

That's a good idea, maybe I'll just use the tool if I still can't find anything. Just a hassle because the standard lengths they sell is exactly what I need.

Slip a 3/8" wrench over the suspected end. It will fit over the 3/8 SAE that's wrong for your truck but a proper 10mm will block it. These two sizes and thread pitches are agonizingly close-- a 3/8 will thread into a 10mm wheel cylinder and look to take but can blow out.

In short, you're going to have to flare. I have toyota and haven't found pre-made stuff.

I've never heard of the 45' Flare being "Japanese"; I simply do a SAE double-flare with the commonly available tool.

Advance auto has 5-packs of the required 10mm line nuts at a decent price.

I just replaced a bunch of lines on my 4Runner.

Buy cupronickel line, buy/borrow a flare tool, use your old fittings (you KNOW they will fit) and bend them yourself. Use/borrow a tubing bender so you don't kink any. Practice a few flares on the tool before committing to bending and cutting the lines.

The line was $50 for 25 feet at AAP, but if you've got time, it's $35 on Amazon. Cupronickel bends more easily than steel.

Hydraulic flare tools work great.

Metric fittings aren't easy to find. Lines will have to be special ordered at your dealer. The fuel line (tank to filter, about five feet in length with multiple bends) was remarkably cheap: $40. So, you might want to price out pre-made lines from the dealer.

Go to the AGS website and look up "Import Lines" under steel, Polyarmor or NiCopp- it will list the specs of the stick of tubing and give you the part number to order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back