Engine with check engine light on waste more gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this 2007 Malibu that I got about 2-3 weeks ago. The check engine light has been on since.Does the light on make it waste more gas? If that mileage that I'm getting with this car is normal, I'm probably getting rid of it .

It depends. What kind of mileage are you getting? Maybe look around or some other members with a similar vehicle can comment on what they are getting.

That's a completely pointless question because the light could mean anything. Go to an auto parts store and have the code read, once you know what the error code is, then you can figure out if it's making you waste more gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
The light itself does not, but the set code can.
Is the code causing worse fuel milage, no idea till the code is known.
Get the codes read and find out why. If you have a stuck injector or for some reason the engine is running a lean code and dumping more fuel to compensate then it could.

Did you buy a vehicle with the CEL on?

Because of chk engine light..engine is in "safe mode"...and in that programme it burns more fuel!

Most probably due to broken down lambda sonda on your catalyst converter!

big rig 101. usually there are some occasion if an engine light come on the computer has multiple programing table , if say computer detect something IT doesnt like it will decide to use table number two witch is a lot safer but burn more fuel truck smoke doesnt perform at all likle you liked the truck and basicly feel old .these event can happen if overheating in its head its just chimera .how can this be . an old school mechanic fix something else and doesnt have the pine cone zip tie holder so he make do with what he or she has . a steel clamp .but your cpu is very sensitive to steel clamp for some reason it detect that this or that is over heating so it goes into protection mode.yep this is why i say to people to make sure notemperature or voltage induction is going on

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I have this 2007 Malibu that I got about 2-3 weeks ago. The check engine light has been on since.Does the light on make it waste more gas? If that mileage that I'm getting with this car is normal, I'm probably getting rid of it .

Have you considered having the code read, figuring out what's wrong with the car, and then fixing it?

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Now I think I know why they call it an idiot light.

Rude. Does not add to discussion.

Actually it points to a rather common problem of trying to get a diagnosis without doing any of the troubleshooting. Sometimes a little brutal honesty is a good thing, especially since the original poster hasn't bothered to actually read the code before starting the discussion.

Who knows.....depends on reason for check engine light which you should do simple diagnosis of reading code to start.

That vehicle never achieved great mpg as most domestics except economy small cars in 2007 vintage. Not surprised. Expect low to mid 20's overall.

Having driven same year Malibu (mother in laws) this vehicle exudes a true feeling of cheapness that gm worked hard likely to achieve. I am floored Gm put the same name on current version as its a decent car. I'd dump it!

If you have an android phone, check out the Torq app and the ELM327 bluetooth OBDII dongle. Works pretty good as a cheapo code reader, to get at least the generic OBDII failure codes. Failing that, I think several auto parts places will pull codes for free. Or ask someone at work--I've pulled codes for coworkers.

If it's an evap code I don't see it changing how it runs. EGR, it might, depends upon the engine family. Cat efficiency, nope. Probably several other categories that won't affect mpg.

You bought (or were given) a car with the CEL on? And did not read the code first? I hope you were given the vehicle.

Cat efficiency. I don't know your CA laws very well but I do know you have a problem, mpg or not.

Depending on the cat deficiency, yes it could cause problems with fuel economy. If it is plugged then it can cause an exhaust restriction. However living in California, you will need to have this fixed before the car can pass an inspection.

I finally checked code. It's P0430

Finally? You already knew that code back on 4/1 when you posted this.
smile.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ali#Post4055455

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back