A/C System - Power Curve XPAC additive??

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I was watching Motorhead Garage tonight and saw some stuff called Power Curve XPAC (they also have a little single dose injection syringe). It is a metal treatment added to the A/C that is supposed to help reduce friction and increase cooling. I saw it a few years ago on another show and never could remember the name to research it more. I just can't seem to find any info on it except from either the maker themselves or a few ads from TV shows.
I normally don't do additives, but this one has me thinking it could be real. I have a noisy A/C in my F150, and it blows pretty cold (and is fully charged) but I think it could be a little colder. They showed a 7°F drop in temps using it.

Anyone heard of it or used it? A part of me is thinking scam, but another part of me wants to give it a try, but at $60, that is a gamble to me.

The MOC snake oil pusher that comes to my worked dumped their version of it off called "Artic Blast." They got all the lube techs fired up to use it, but all the real techs won't use it because they know to only use R134a in a R134a system.

There's already this thing in a/c systems that reduces friction called PAG oil.

Only thing that belongs in a r134a system is r134a and pag oil (maybe ester in rare situations)

Why not use what they specify on the hood sticker and forget the snake oil. A properly serviced A/C with a condenser not covered with Florida love-bugs will provide lots of cold air.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
OK, I was watching Motorhead Garage tonight and saw some stuff called Power Curve XPAC (they also have a little single dose injection syringe). It is a metal treatment added to the A/C that is supposed to help reduce friction and increase cooling. I saw it a few years ago on another show and never could remember the name to research it more. I just can't seem to find any info on it except from either the maker themselves or a few ads from TV shows.
I normally don't do additives, but this one has me thinking it could be real. I have a noisy A/C in my F150, and it blows pretty cold (and is fully charged) but I think it could be a little colder. They showed a 7°F drop in temps using it.

Anyone heard of it or used it? A part of me is thinking scam, but another part of me wants to give it a try, but at $60, that is a gamble to me.

That right there is all you need to know to make a decision.

I'm sure there must be compounds that can provide a colder vent temp.
I had an old van that was supposed to have 134a in it. Instead I put in Envirosafe. A hydrocarbon. Colder through the center vent. 39F on a hot humid day. Worked fantastically for 5 years until the van died.

OK, about what I thought.
You just never know because there can always be some advance in lubrication/metallurgy that just has not really come out to the masses yet.

Like I said before, I am not an additives guy, but this one did peak my interest some.

I have a noisy A/C in my F150, and it blows pretty cold (and is fully charged) but I think it could be a little colder.

I worked on a neighbors 20yr old F150 with poor cooling & airflow. First, the intake air box was full of leaves, oak tassles, etc. that had turned to mulch and started to sprout seeds! I had to flush it out with a leaf blower, then a hose. Second, the outside face of the evaporator coil was very dirty. Took care of that with aluminum-safe degreaser. Third, the vac. hose controling the RECIRC door was rotten, so I fixed that. Fourth, I sprayed down the A/C condensor with degreaser then rinsed it with a hose.

Small wonder he was having A/C problems with all the clogging & dirt. His blew MUCH colder afterwards and had much more airflow through the vents as well.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I'm sure there must be compounds that can provide a colder vent temp.
I had an old van that was supposed to have 134a in it. Instead I put in Envirosafe. A hydrocarbon. Colder through the center vent. 39F on a hot humid day. Worked fantastically for 5 years until the van died.

Yes. Propane works better. But there is the freak chance of an explosion. Hence why it's illegal.

The new y1234a or whatever coming down the pike is basically a propane molecule made to be less flammable. Should offer much better performance than r134a.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I have a noisy A/C in my F150, and it blows pretty cold (and is fully charged) but I think it could be a little colder.

I worked on a neighbors 20yr old F150 with poor cooling & airflow. First, the intake air box was full of leaves, oak tassles, etc. that had turned to mulch and started to sprout seeds! I had to flush it out with a leaf blower, then a hose. Second, the outside face of the evaporator coil was very dirty. Took care of that with aluminum-safe degreaser. Third, the vac. hose controling the RECIRC door was rotten, so I fixed that. Fourth, I sprayed down the A/C condensor with degreaser then rinsed it with a hose.

Small wonder he was having A/C problems with all the clogging & dirt. His blew MUCH colder afterwards and had much more airflow through the vents as well.

With old trucks a weak fan clutch is often the culprit.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

With old trucks a weak fan clutch is often the culprit.

I need to look into that.
I got out my infrared temp gun, and sitting stopped at idle, the air is around 44°F. If I rev it to ~2500 RPM's, it goes to 37-38°, when I drive and get above 30 mph, it drops to around 32°. It goes back up to ~44° when I stop.
My coolant temp seems fine, but I know does not fluctuate as much as the A/C, so I need to look at the fan closer. It appears to work correctly (some resistance when spun by hand, but does not just spin freely either).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back