Various wiper types

Status
Not open for further replies.
There use to be just Anco and Trico wiper blades. Now there are many but my question is not about brand.

My question is about type. I see beam, curved, frameless (maybe more) and wonder if these are gimmicks or not.

I have been a fan of getting decent but not top of the line blades and changing them more often.

Opinions?

Denso Designer, made in Japan. The only wipers made in a first-world country besides the American Goodyear wipers, but they're [censored]. Everything else is made in China, Korea, or Mexico.

Even Bosch, which used to be made in Belgium, are all Chinese now
mad.gif

I do like the Goodyear wipers, in the beam style. Costco USED to have them for $10 a pop (or less), but for the past year I've only seen the hybrid style there... which I simply don't like because they are too bulky for my taste.

I just pick mine up from the dealer. They're similarly priced, and carry a 12mo/12k mile warranty. First sign of chatter or streaking and I get another pair, usually for free.

ive had good luck with kleenx? from AAP. i think thats the name.

been using them for few years on both jeep and kia. with AAP coupons can get a set for $10 or a little more.

Well I've used Rain x Latitudes which are beam style that did rather well. I've used Bosch beam blades that started speaking badly after 3 months. Now that was 3 yrs ago and I've seen people on here say the Bosch Icons have been very good for them. They reformulated their blades which their commercials said they did. May well have worked.

I'm using the hybrid insights from Advance Auto right now. So far so good. About $12 cheaper than the Rain X Latitudes per pair. The hybrid design seems to be a good design and performing well.

I've had really good luck with Supertech, but they recently changed the design and materials. (More thin metal and less thick plastic). I'm on day 2 with the new design.

The frameless type are hit or miss. I think you have to have the right car for that type of wiper to make full contact with the glass. Many of them won't have enough pressure on the ends so a 20in wiper ends up only clearing a path 17" wide.

Also the ones I tried had a tendency to lift off the glass while in use at highway speeds. I know some of the newer ones have a spoiler shape to press down in wind but I haven't tried them.

I'm personally going to stick with Sightline wipers which are rebranded OEM for Toyota. I believe they are made in Japan.

OE toy lasted 5yr for me. Goodyear beams, ughh. Just picked up Bosch Icon and just wow. We'll fimd out about longevity. I usually degrease my windshield and wipers 2-3 times a year with dawn and green side for windshield and yellow of the sponge for wipers. Brings wipers back to life pretty good for me. I have yet to replace wiper blades in less than 2 years.

The best cheaper blades I have used are AC Delco Advantage All Season Metal Wiper Blade from Amazon. There only a little over $5 a piece. I use these in the summer but I like the TRICO NeoForm Beams in the winter, get them at AAP with discounts. There is about 5 inches on the lower passenger side where the glass curves that it doesn't clear but once its up past that it works like the others.

Originally Posted By: motts
Silblade is the best I've found.

Did they ever built that factory upstate, and switch all of their manufacturing here (like they were promising to do)??
21.gif

So no one has raved about the newer types of blades. Guess I will stick with my current plan which is to buy low cost but decent wiper blades and replace yearly.

Best blades I have found are the Michelin Stealth ones--not the Ultra. Both of my cars have the Stealths on there, and they last and last. Both have been on for over a year, including over the winter with ice and snow. They clean the windshield well, install easily, do not ice up, no chatter and are worth the money--available at Walmart. They call it a "hybrid" design because they utilize the independent metal suspension which is covered by plastic. I have never had much luck with the modern "beam" type blades, and they snap easily in the winter. The beams never seem to align with the windshield, cause a lot of chatter, and don't clean as well.

My car came with beam blades. I tried Trico NeoForm beam blades and the passenger side blade did not wipe as well as the OEM blade. The OEM blades are expensive, but they work perfectly. There are no refills for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back