Hub bearing bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for a 1998 S10 Blazer.

For replacement hub bearing bolts, should this be a GM only part or could I get away with 10.9's from the hardware store?

Thanks

I finally got rid of the OE bolts on my Jeep with some 10.9 bolts. The OE hub bearing bolts on the Jeeps like mine are some 12 point bolt that corrodes and rounds off. I finally used up my spare stack of them and the dealer wanted something insane like $19 a piece.

I'm currently running 10.9's as caliper bolts. If they fail, my front brakes are going to fall off. These are actually sold as a high performance Upgrade from OEM on my vehicle:

http://zzperformance.com/3800/suspension-brakes-handling/fbody-caliper-install-kit.html

I would neither hesitate nor look back to use hardware store 10.9 grade bolts as affordable replacements for hub bearing bolts in your situation.

Get away with? I'd call it upgrade to.

I have replaced hub bearing bolts with 10.9's. Most hardware stores have standard 10.9's which when accompanied with a proper washer will work fine. I prefer using flange bolts whenever possible for replacing hub bearing bolts. 9 times out of 10, the OE bolts were flange bolts. Flange bolts have a larger grip area than regular old hardware store bolts. The larger the grip area, the more likely it will hold torque. Auto parts stores, hardware stores and fastener stores should have flange bolts readily available in the size you need.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I finally got rid of the OE bolts on my Jeep with some 10.9 bolts. The OE hub bearing bolts on the Jeeps like mine are some 12 point bolt that corrodes and rounds off. I finally used up my spare stack of them and the dealer wanted something insane like $19 a piece.

I was afraid his truck was also going to have the 12 point bolts, but thankfully it didn't. These literally looked like something plain from the hardware store.

In that case, I would go with hardware store bolts. The only real difference between the OE and hardware store bolts (besides the head) on mine is the hardware bolts are flat and not tapered at the end - so the hub has to be perfectly aligned.

The 12 pt bolts are for quick assembly; they don't fall out of the driver socket.

I figure lug studs aren't anything too special, and they hold the same amount of force. Though there are five and not three.
laugh.gif

When I did the bearing in my Liberty, I used a high-grade-marked automotive bolt from the junk drawer to replace a mangled one that came out. You have to figure the engineers don't control parts procurement so they'll use a standard strength (or standard high-strength) bolt in their load calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back