Good News for Manual Trans Lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most autos do allow you some control over the gears, selecting a gear other than Drive will usually lock out gears above that setting*. I use that a lot, either forcing engine braking or just limiting upshifts because I know in 100 yards I'm going to slow, turn and then need to accelerate.

It's not quite as much control as a proper MT but if you "know" that it is deliberately in too high of a gear, then you probably can figure out when to manually block out a gear or two.

[*I realize that some older transmission would start out in 2nd gear if you selected 2nd instead of D. Not sure if those still exist today, or have been around for years. And that not all autos are borematics, but I'm speaking in the general case here. YMMV.]

Originally Posted By: grampi
Today's automatics drive me nuts. They're constantly trying to shove themselves into the highest gear possible, making a downshift necessary even for the slightest bit of acceleration...they basically have the engine lugging, or almost lugging all the time...

the beauty of "manual mode" of modern automatics. You can keep it from shifting too soon under a load. Fantastic feature for the hilly, curvy two lane roads in my area. I keep my 2015 3/4 ton in manual mode with M5 selected and keeps trans from gear hunting on hills and shifting all the time. Trans runs cooler under load and fuel economy better.

Pneumatic sequential is a good compromise, you only need to use the clutch to start and stop but you are always in control of gear selection and no locking/unlocking TC either. Best of both worlds
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Today's automatics drive me nuts. They're constantly trying to shove themselves into the highest gear possible, making a downshift necessary even for the slightest bit of acceleration...they basically have the engine lugging, or almost lugging all the time...

the beauty of "manual mode" of modern automatics. You can keep it from shifting too soon under a load. Fantastic feature for the hilly, curvy two lane roads in my area. I keep my 2015 3/4 ton in manual mode with M5 selected and keeps trans from gear hunting on hills and shifting all the time. Trans runs cooler under load and fuel economy better.

I do the same. I still have screaming fits at the torque convertor locking/unlocking, but it's much better than leaving it completely alone.

Now if I could just teach the wife how to do likewise. She just puts it into Drive and complains.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Pneumatic sequential is a good compromise, you only need to use the clutch to start and stop but you are always in control of gear selection and no locking/unlocking TC either. Best of both worlds
smile.gif

Yes, but it has to be brought down into the world of sanely affordable rides, not just kept in the realm of half million buck+ ultra exotics and such.
31.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
smile.gif

Yes, but it has to be brought down into the world of sanely affordable rides, not just kept in the realm of half million buck+ ultra exotics and such.
31.gif
frown.gif

Quaife sequential boxes start at £6k - ill bet you a case of beers that there are people on here that spend more than 6k in interest on their car payments over the term of the loan.
Pneumatic shifters start at around 3k but aren't really necessary, just a nice thing to have.

6 grand isnt cheap, but it certainly isn't Insanely unaffordable

Quaife sequential boxes start at £6k - ill bet you a case of beers that there are people on here that spend more than 6k in interest on their car payments over the term of the loan.

Decided to fact check that £6,000 in interest. That is $8,572 this side of the pond. To hit that number:

yrs APR Principle
5 3.9% $90k
5 4.9% $72k
5 5.9% $60k
5 6.9% $51k

6 3.9% $75k
6 4.9% $60k
6 5.9% $50k
6 6.9% $43k

I guess it is possible to hit that number--I didn't think it was, but I guess one could.

Originally Posted By: supton

Decided to fact check that £6,000 in interest. That is $8,572 this side of the pond. To hit that number:

yrs APR Principle
5 3.9% $90k
5 4.9% $72k
5 5.9% $60k
5 6.9% $51k

6 3.9% $75k
6 4.9% $60k
6 5.9% $50k
6 6.9% $43k

I guess it is possible to hit that number--I didn't think it was, but I guess one could.

I live on the,other sie of the world so I don't really know, but, do people in the US finance cars at 40-50-60 grand? It's not uncommon over here..

smile.gif

31.gif
frown.gif

Pneumatic shifters start at around 3k but aren't really necessary, just a nice thing to have.

For WHICH cars does Quaife make these $9K USD sequential 'boxes??

I do find that price hard to believe, since;
When a group of 4th gen f body owners here in the states were just trying to get them to make a top level, high bias differential for our cars they wanted almost $1300.00 USD for them, with a 25 minimum order, FULLY prepaid, BEFORE they would even consider the project.
21.gif

smile.gif

31.gif
frown.gif

For WHICH cars does Quaife make these $9K USD sequential 'boxes??

I do find that price hard to believe, since;
When a group of 4th gen f body owners here in the states were just trying to get them to make a top level, high bias differential for our cars they wanted almost $1300.00 USD for them, with a 25 minimum order, FULLY prepaid, BEFORE they would even consider the project.
21.gif

By the same token if I went to GearVendors and asked them to make an O/D unit for a mid 50s Vanden Plaas they'd charge me a lot more than if I wanted their regular O/D for a Dodge.. Look to a manufacturer on your landmass who has experience of the particular application you're looking for.

To answer your other question, with a bell housing adaptor they'll fit just about anything
smile.gif

See here https://shop.quaife.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?vehicle=&q=Sequential

Btw there are cheaper options that I missed before, the cheapest I've seen so far is £3200 - cheaper than replacing a busted up factory standard trans?

I live on the,other sie of the world so I don't really know, but, do people in the US finance cars at 40-50-60 grand? It's not uncommon over here..

To be honest--I'm not really sure. I'm guessing yes, if only because its possible. Now if the question was, do /many finance that much, that I would tend to doubt. It's a pretty steep monthly payment; and those who sign up for that probably have a pretty hefty income to swing that, and think not much of it--same people probably only have said loan for a year or two before trading into something else. I'd suspect most loans are in the 15-25k range, trade-in and downpayment tempering the principle down, but I honestly don't know.

Google to the rescue! In a "duh" moment I googled it.

With an average at $26k financed for new (and $18k for used), I'd wager a $50k principle is "common" in the sense banks know how to do it, but perhaps it's not "commonly" done by the majority of buyers.

Link
Quote:
Edmunds data tells the story: Since 2002, the average car loan term has slowly crept past five years, and is now inching past six-and-a-half years. In 2014, 62 percent of the auto loans were for terms over 60 months. And nearly 20 percent of the loans were for 73- to 84-month terms.

This is from 2010, and some here don't like Dave Ramsey, but I'm presuming his numbers to be correct: Link
Quote:
Here’s the deal. Recent statistics show that one-third of car buyers sign up for a six-year loan at an average interest rate of 9.6%. Among these buyers, the average price of the car is just over $26,000. This means that one-third of the cars you see on the road are dragging a $475 payment behind them.

More recent Edmunds info (August 2015) backs it up: Link
Quote:
The average monthly payment for a new vehicle in the second quarter of 2015 was $483, according to the new State of the Automotive Finance Market by Experian Automotive.

In comparison, the average used-car payment was $361 — widening the gap between the two to $122.

The information services company said this is the largest margin since it began publicly reporting the data in 2008.

The difference between the total loan amounts for new and used vehicles also increased significantly, the report said.

On average, car shoppers financed $28,524 for a new vehicle and $18,671 for used.

The study found that 31.4 percent of all new vehicles financed were leased, up from 30.2 percent the previous year.

The percentage of used vehicles financed for 73 months to 84 months increased by 14.8 percent from the second quarter of 2014 to reach 16.1 percent — the highest percentage on record.

A recent Edmunds' analysis found that average used car prices hit a record high of $18,800 in the second quarter, up 7.6 percent — or $1,300 per vehicle — from the second quarter of 2014. Meanwhile, the average age of used cars sold in Q2 2015 was 4.5 years, down from an average of 4.9 years the same time last year.

Same info, different sources: Link1 Link2

smile.gif

31.gif
frown.gif

What kind of torque is that 6K box rated for? Sequential gearboxes are nothing new-motorcycles have used them forever-but they don't seem to scale up well.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
What kind of torque is that 6K box rated for? Sequential gearboxes are nothing new-motorcycles have used them forever-but they don't seem to scale up well.

Most of their sequential boxes do not have very high torque ratings, since they are mainly for lower powered, FWD/AWD, Euro/Nippon 4 bangers (with the exception of the GTR R32 apps and such).

I am guessing that they probably WILL build one for a high torque output U.S. V-8, but most likely NOT at the stated $8.5-$9K USD price point.
31.gif

This makes it much harder to do important things like texting your bff Jill about how Johnny kissed Becky

Originally Posted By: 7055
This makes it much harder to do important things like texting your bff Jill about how Johnny kissed Becky

How much did you get for your rocket sled skittle??

That is one aspect I like about being able to put my automatic in my pickup into Manual Mode. I have more control of the shifts and can restrict how high a gear it will shift to. Change gears with a simple press of a button on the shift lever. Great for down or up shifting and keeping RPM's in optimum.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

That is one aspect I like about being able to put my automatic in my pickup into Manual Mode. I have more control of the shifts and can restrict how high a gear it will shift to. Change gears with a simple press of a button on the shift lever. Great for down or up shifting and keeping RPM's in optimum.

My 2002 VW Jetta had that feature and they called it "Tiptronic."

Whenever I used it, it felt like there was a huge delay when I shifted gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back