Clunk/Rattle when hitting a bump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is an odd one. Happening on my 2011 focus with 62000 miles.

This has started happening over the winter. When I hit a bump, hard, with either front wheel (left is louder), I get a repeated clunk / rattle. Almost like the spring or something is bouncing around.

I first thought it was the end links. I recently put on new Moog end links. I took them off completely and the clunk didn't go away. Obviously if the swaybar is disconnected and the car still rattles, it's not the swaybar.

The car doesn't groan/ squeak from the strut mounts when I turn the wheel. I have grabbed / tapped everything I can see and I can't seem to see what is lose.

Anyone have any ideas?

suspend wheels off ground..use prybar under each wheel to simulate bumps. most likely struts.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
suspend wheels off ground..use prybar under each wheel to simulate bumps. most likely struts.

I'm not able to make a big enough bump by hand. Most bumps don't seem to make noise, only the big ones.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It's a long shot but did you check the ball joints and control arms?

Checked ball joints, control arms and tie rod ends.

Upper strut mount maybe?

Don't know about the Focus but the S197 Mustang is notorious for this.

Last edited:
I could try to replace the upper strut mounts. It does seem to be coming from almost behind the dashboard on both sides.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
What is the condition of your side engine mount?

<10,000 miles. Warrantied it before the powertraine warranty was up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I could try to replace the upper strut mounts. It does seem to be coming from almost behind the dashboard on both sides.

div>
I thought you replaced it again afterwards with a polyurethane mount?

It could be a loose body part.

My 91 LeBaron had a loud clunk going over bad bumps. I checked everything I could think of, replaced a lot of parts. I never did find the source of clunking and gave up.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Miller88

div>
I thought you replaced it again afterwards with a polyurethane mount?

The passenger side hydraulic one was warrantied and I ended up replacing the "dogbone" mount / torque restrictor myself with a polyurethan one

I'm 99% certain it's a bad strut mount. I have been driving the Jeep the last 2 months, almost exclusively, so I haven't been too annoyed by it. But now that I'm back to using this as my DD it's driving me up the wall

I put it up on jack stands and took the RF wheel off and disconnected the end link. I can pound up on the strut and it makes the noise. Stuck my head in there and I can hear it rattling from the top of the strut.

Furthermore, when on top with the hood open, I can jiggle the car around by pushing on the radiator support and I can see the center of the strut - the one with the big nut through it - moving around. I am pretty sure that shouldn't be happening.

It is worse with the swaybar disconnected. Which makes sense as the swaybar isn't able to transfer some of the shock load of bumps over to the other side with a good strut mount.

Changing out the strut mounts this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back