Can't find anything on VR6 cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience at all with vr6 powered cars. I have an opportunity to pick one up for real cheap as a summer project and would like to hear any personal experiences before I buy. I know they can be a pain to own and maintain (keyword project). Yeah, yeah I know I'll probably have to take the transmission off and replace timing chains and other annoying stuff. Just wanted to change it up a bit and drive/wrench on something different. Also I didn't find any UOA data on any vr6.

I have a 2003 Jetta GLI with the 24v VR6 and a 6 speed. It has been completely and utterly reliable. Of course I've had to replace normal wearable parts but the engine, transmission and even the clutch are original with 201k miles. Very nice running engine and a quick car. Assuming your looking at an older 12v model, yes, the chains/tensioner will likely need done, but there's really no other critical faults with the engine. I am a member at VWVortex and they can tell you a whole lot more. Good people. I've never had an oil analysis done but I have used M1 0-40 for a long time in it and have had no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Weren't these also notorious sludgers, or am I confusing it with the old 1.8T?

I think you are confusing with 1.8T.
In reality 1.8T is not sludge monster as long as you use synthetic VW502.00 ACEA A3/B3 B4 oil!
1.8T became notorious because people sued any synthetic oil or just any oil.
I saw some engines with 350K and still running on original turbo.
I had 1.8T Passat, and after 105K had to change chain (known issue). Once all parts that needed to be disassembled were out, we saw that engine was in mint condition. Used Castrol 0W30 (GC) and on several occasions M1 0W40 and Pennzoil Ultra 5W40.

Last edited:
Want one that already has the chains replaced and a newish crack pipe (and clutch, and bilsteins and auto tech cams)?

Define "real cheap".

The 'Tex is probably the best source, particularly the engine specific forums, less so the car specific ones.

I'm not sure about the MK4 cars, but MK3 parts are getting harder to get.

Not personal experience, but research about them has them on my eventual buying list because everything seems to indicate they are surprisingly solid and stout engines. Compact and powerful due to its unusual configuration, capable of lots of power on boost (some nutcase has 1100hp from a 3.6L VR6 going to AWD in a drag car, 400-500hp on boost seems to be no big deal with stock internals just jacking the boost up) and making for one heck of a sleeper because nobody has 6 cylinders in compacts normally.

Everything has weak points or needs proper maintenance, but given proper rebuilds and maintenance they sound like long lived generally reliable and wonderfully modifyable engines.

Not on topic but I was clicking on random videos on youtube last night and found out there was a VR5. I don't think it made it to our shores though.

Originally Posted By: supton
Not on topic but I was clicking on random videos on youtube last night and found out there was a VR5. I don't think it made it to our shores though.

Nope it did not, nor it lived in Europe for a long time.
5cyl engines are notorious once they develop ignition issues.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Want one that already has the chains replaced and a newish crack pipe (and clutch, and bilsteins and auto tech cams)?

Define "real cheap".

The 'Tex is probably the best source, particularly the engine specific forums, less so the car specific ones.

I'm not sure about the MK4 cars, but MK3 parts are getting harder to get.

How about MK2?

They didn't make a Mk2 VR unless yu count the Corrado, but parts for both of them are becoming very difficult/expensive to source OEM, although there are lots of aftermarket parts available in varying quality.
Mk3 are still plentiful in scrap yards and mk4 still have parts availability at the dealership.

I read this thread because I will eventually buy a Winnebago Rialta with a VR6 engine. They called the base model a Eurovan in the USA and in Europe they call it the T4.

The Audi A3 and TT were available with the 3.2 VR6 and Haldex Quattro.

Audi has never used the "VR" moniker, but have used the engines for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HazardousGorilla
There was no VR6 in any Audi, correct?

There was, but never used VR6 designation. Old Audi 100 and first A6 had 2.8 VR6 with 174hp and 12 valves.

Bump. I ended up buying a 2001 VW Jetta GLS VR6 with a 5 speed manual. Payed $250 and $17.50 in tax. It ran poorly when I bought it. I am currently in the process of rebuilding it. Thanks for all the input.

Inline 6 are notoriously bullet proof .this engine is barely a v shapped engine .but way stronger the inline 6 structurally . just change usual. Add an oil pressure gage and you should have ton of worry free mile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back