Arguing with people over oil is fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was on another forum and someone asked for a recommendation of oil for there 03 civic. Someone suggested 0w20 and then someone tried to deny that by saying it's too thin. I then explained all the benefits. And that honda now back specs 0w20 for the civic from 2001 and newer. And now they're saying you want the thickest oil that can still flow for protection. I also stated that the most engine wears occurs n start up and he said it didn't. I told him to come to this forum and get his facts straight.

Oh well. Theres a ton of people on hear that are more knowledgeable about oil than they could ever imagine. Just trying to get the guys facts straight.

Oil can be fun. but dont forget Ford Vs. Chevy...Budweiser vs. Miller, Jack Daniels vs Jim Beam, Coke Vs. Pepsi...and now Batman Vs. Superman!!

There is plenty of fun to be had.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I told him to come to this forum and get his facts straight.

If only there was a forum people here could go to so they could get their facts straight.

A well intended but completely ignorant employee at an AAP was giving bad advice to a customer.

When I mentioned the kinematic viscosity of oil he and the customer glazed over.

I'm glad they did because I didn't want to argue.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Oil can be fun. but dont forget Ford Vs. Chevy...Budweiser vs. Miller, Jack Daniels vs Jim Beam, Coke Vs. Pepsi...and now Batman Vs. Superman!!

There is plenty of fun to be had.

Castrol, Ford, Miller, Jim Beam, Pepsi, Batman.

Settled.

I literally do not ever bother arguing with ppl over this stuff.
It's one topic that's like talking to a brick wall I find.

I even had my parts guy (who has been great to deal with) say that the Total Quartz 9000 I wanted to buy for my SI was too thin because it was 0w30. Turns out they only had 5w30 in stock that day anyway, but I naturally wanted the 0w30. I did not argue.

Originally Posted By: KzMitch

If only there was a forum people here could go to so they could get their facts straight.

Huge +1

I have read so many different arguments on here. Many I learned from and others I just stopped reading because it had gone down a dark hole of name calling. That can happen but what I have really taken away from BITOG is a better knowledge of what I am looking for in maintaining my vehicles. We all have ideas of what that entails and those ideas do vary from person to person. What we share here is we want to make our vehicle last and how we do it. Sure is better than reading about our being clueless on how to change oil or coolant or ATF and how we just want to party on dude.

I am grateful for all the input I have taken away from BITOG and transferred it to a better knowledge on how to get my vehicles to last. At my age I don't want to be spending more money on another vehicle. I want the ones I have to last me to the cemetery. Meanwhile I will use them to have some fun, go places, and enjoy life without spending a ton of cash. DIY is great and BITOG does help me out in that area.

Was on another forum and someone asked for a recommendation of oil for there 03 civic. Someone suggested 0w20 and then someone tried to deny that by saying it's too thin. I then explained all the benefits. And that honda now back specs 0w20 for the civic from 2001 and newer. And now they're saying you want the thickest oil that can still flow for protection. I also stated that the most engine wears occurs n start up and he said it didn't. I told him to come to this forum and get his facts straight.

What is cause and what is effect? Does your choice of oil shift the wear points between start up and normal running?

Originally Posted By: KzMitch

Statement of the day!

Arguing with people over anything is usually fun.
It's even more fun if you have an audience.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In my experience, most people on other forums think that BITOG is full of weirdos and laugh when you refer them to it.

In most cases, we use data and logic to make decisions.

We are the minority.

Originally Posted By: MRtv
I have read so many different arguments on here. Many I learned from and others I just stopped reading because it had gone down a dark hole of name calling. That can happen but what I have really taken away from BITOG is a better knowledge of what I am looking for in maintaining my vehicles. We all have ideas of what that entails and those ideas do vary from person to person. What we share here is we want to make our vehicle last and how we do it. Sure is better than reading about our being clueless on how to change oil or coolant or ATF and how we just want to party on dude.

I am grateful for all the input I have taken away from BITOG and transferred it to a better knowledge on how to get my vehicles to last. At my age I don't want to be spending more money on another vehicle. I want the ones I have to last me to the cemetery. Meanwhile I will use them to have some fun, go places, and enjoy life without spending a ton of cash. DIY is great and BITOG does help me out in that area.

I totally agree. I'm hoping to get at least 20 years out of the vehicles listed below. They suit my needs just fine.

.... I also stated that the most engine wears occurs n start up and he said it didn't. I told him to come to this forum and get his facts straight.

I think a large percentage of this forum might disagree. Wording is critical. Many could successfully argue that "warmup" (the period where oil temp is below normal operating temp) is where the most wear occurs. Does more wear occur during the 3-10 seconds of cold startup or in the following 5-20 min of oil warmup?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In my experience, most people on other forums think that BITOG is full of weirdos and laugh when you refer them to it.

In most cases, we use data and logic to make decisions.

We are the minority.

What BITOG forums are you reading?

I think the internet has changed the way many think and act in the real world. People (especially those under 40-45) seem to live too "own" somebody or argue and demean at the drop of hat. My observation based theory is it is from the anonymity of the internet bleeding over into ones real life. People act one way on a message board and in real life they would never act or say the things they do on the internet.
Trying to get this under control on message boards is a constant "ban hammer" situation.....unfortunate we have lost our sense of civility oftentimes on the internet and the real world.
Many live to argue nowadays.......sad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back