In-cylinder fuel and lubricant effects on gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
it'll be more dense at the time.... which could be due to less volatility, but they did mention swirl and heavier...

Shannows link above says the same thing, more explicitly.

"However, but because fuel additives do not tend to change direction as quickly as gasoline, the additives still impinge on the cylinder wall,"

Still don't believe it, (and not only because illiteracy, as in "However, but" undermines credibility). Assuming the lube and fuel are miscible, they are both going to be present in mixed droplets and will travel together. They'll only separate by fuel vaporisation (and subsequent combustion).

I've just read through the dissertation literature review, to the start of the actual report "This thesis describes a seminal piece of research" (Seriously? Aren't OTHER people supposed to say that?)

That's as far as I got, but thus far there appears to be a bit of an elephant in the room (and maybe in the literature, if the review is representative)

"Compared to other areas of lubricant additive study, literature on organic
friction modifiers for automotive use is relatively scarce"

Oh yeh? Why are Castrol called Castrol then?

It could of course be that the literature doesn't reflect practice, but, as touched on above, this kind of thing is what 2-strokes do, and have done for a long time.

Surely there must have been SOME scientific investigation into how they do it?

Apparently 2-stroke oils are useless and wasteful in a 4-stroke engine asall the lubrication needs are met by the crankcase oil. And I agree where it comes to wear, but this paper shows there might be a friction reduction benefit from additives in the fuel. Even 2-stroke oil could have a benefit by changing the lubrication regime at the top ring zone.

I don't believe that fuel droplets will separate into lighter and heavier components more likely to impact walls...they don't have to.

Fuel is known, and measured to absorb into the oil on the cylinder walls and then evaporate off again into the power stroke and exhaust, it's one of the mechanisms of hydrocarbon emissions in exhaust.

The additives in the fuel can certainly then hand around behind.

e.g. Porsche IIRC don't recommend more than 4 doses of techron in an OCI...rumoured to be bad for bearings.

it'll be more dense at the time.... which could be due to less volatility, but they did mention swirl and heavier...

Shannows link above says the same thing, more explicitly.

"However, but because fuel additives do not tend to change direction as quickly as gasoline, the additives still impinge on the cylinder wall,"

Still don't believe it, (and not only because illiteracy, as in "However, but" undermines credibility). Assuming the lube and fuel are miscible, they are both going to be present in mixed droplets and will travel together. They'll only separate by fuel vaporisation (and subsequent combustion).

I've just read through the dissertation literature review, to the start of the actual report "This thesis describes a seminal piece of research" (Seriously? Aren't OTHER people supposed to say that?)

That's as far as I got, but thus far there appears to be a bit of an elephant in the room (and maybe in the literature, if the review is representative)

"Compared to other areas of lubricant additive study, literature on organic
friction modifiers for automotive use is relatively scarce"

Oh yeh? Why are Castrol called Castrol then?

It could of course be that the literature doesn't reflect practice, but, as touched on above, this kind of thing is what 2-strokes do, and have done for a long time.

Surely there must have been SOME scientific investigation into how they do it?

Apparently 2-stroke oils are useless and wasteful in a 4-stroke engine asall the lubrication needs are met by the crankcase oil. And I agree where it comes to wear, but this paper shows there might be a friction reduction benefit from additives in the fuel. Even 2-stroke oil could have a benefit by changing the lubrication regime at the top ring zone.

I'm not suggesting that 2-stroke oil (and certainly not castor oil, though I've seen recent work on modified veg-based lubes) are "the" (or even a) solution. I'm suggesting that no mention of them at all in a review of this topic is a surprising omission.

Meanwhile, in MY bespoke seminal solutions department, I mated my brake bleeding enema syringe (Mityvac my arse..er..as it were) to a gas blowtorch, more or less closing the rear off with wadded plastic bag.

Running a bit of rubber tube (couldn't find the more rigid PVC brake-bleeding tube, which would have been better) into the air intake and turning the torch on full, it would idle by itself, which it wouldn't before.

Couldn't get the bonnet (hood) closed though, and the starter solenoid contacts were just underneath the cylinder, resulting in some substantial sparks. (Hmm...shorting with a gas canister...good plan)

So I moved it to the front bumper, (fender) where it helped me limp the car home.

However, ALL vehicle modifications are illegal in Taiwan, and thats not a very discrete one, so that concludes this round of testing. I'm going to strip and clean the carb next, (ooer) so the car may never run again.

Last edited:

I'm not suggesting that 2-stroke oil (and certainly not castor oil, though I've seen recent work on modified veg-based lubes) are "the" (or even a) solution. I'm suggesting that no mention of them at all in a review of this topic is a surprising omission.

I didn't mention them on purpose. I would like the reader to reach his own conclusions.

I didn't mention them on purpose. I would like the reader to reach his own conclusions.

I meant no mention by the author of the thesis (I'm assuming that isn't you, though I suppose it could be).

You're not obliged to cover all (or any) of the bases. He (as I understand it, anyway) is.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I don't believe that fuel droplets will separate into lighter and heavier components more likely to impact walls...they don't have to.

Fuel is known, and measured to absorb into the oil on the cylinder walls and then evaporate off again into the power stroke and exhaust, it's one of the mechanisms of hydrocarbon emissions in exhaust.

The additives in the fuel can certainly then hand around behind.

e.g. Porsche IIRC don't recommend more than 4 doses of techron in an OCI...rumoured to be bad for bearings.

Just to be clear, I didn't think you did believe that, but its stated in work cited in the dissertation, and more explicitly on the site you linked to.

I meant no mention by the author of the thesis (I'm assuming that isn't you, though I suppose it could be).

You're not obliged to cover all (or any) of the bases. He (as I understand it, anyway) is.

No, it's not me.

I like how he recaps previous studies, and what he's done himself, but it's not flawless.

He had an HFRR for screening potential FM, then selected the best performers. But later on he realised his screening HFRR was running in a worse regime than an actual engine but he never went back to the worse performers.. The triglyceride and ester showed to have tenacious films staying in place after the application stopped so could've done well in his actual test engine with less boundary friction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back