Anyone using oil additives???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody using oil additives (such as Lucus) on older vehicles to keep the seals pliable to help them not start leaking (like the rear main)

Does Amsoil make an additive to help seals, that would be compatible with their oil?

If you include transmission oil additives, then my answer is "yes". I recently started having transmission flaring on the 1-2 shift in my 03 CRV when cold. I drained and filled the transmission 3 times with Honda DW-1 auto trans fluid and added a 10 oz bottle of Lubegard Platinum. The flaring is gone for now. How long will this last? Only time will tell.

I wuz jus reading on the Lucus website...

Quote:
Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak is an all new formulation of Lucas additives and very specific base stocks designed to stop seal leaks in engines!

Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak is an all new formulation of Lucas additives and very specific base stocks designed to stop seal leaks in engines!
Key Benefits

Compatible with petroleum, semi-synthetic and full synthetic motor oils
Renews worn seals with no risk of damage or eventual corrosion
Reduces engine noise and oil consumption, while raising oil pressure
Contains no harmful solvents

source - http://lucasoil.com/products/engine-oil-additives/engine-oil-stop-leak

They claim it's compatible with full synthetic motor oils... you don' rekcon that is false advertising do ya?

Last edited:
Had a 91 Dynasty with the infamous 604 auto. The seals started failing, and when the transmission got hit it started hard shifting trying to have 2 ratios engaged at the same time. A can of transmedic softened the seals, and a software update made it better still. Drive another 70 K, to almost 200K total without a rebuild.

1959 Johnson outboard with lower unit getting water in it. A table spoon of transmedic in the gear oil stopped it.

STP reduces oil consumption in my old Dakota from quart every 400 miles to quart every 800 to 1000.

repeatable over and over, either 2 OZ Marvel Mystery Oil or TCW3 in 4 gallons of gas in my BMW motorcycle gets me 2 MPG better.

Rod

Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver has helped slow a leak on one of my older BMWs when I didn't feel like pulling the trans to do the rear main.

If you're worried about preventing leaks then REPLACE GASKETS!

Mos2 is the only oil additive that isn't snake oil.
Lucas is marginally worse than detritus.

If I do happen to have a seal or gasket that begins leaking on a vehicle, I'll simply fix it right rather than start dumping garbage in the oil.

Originally Posted By: Rockrz
Anybody using oil additives (such as Lucus) on older vehicles to keep the seals pliable to help them not start leaking (like the rear main)

Does Amsoil make an additive to help seals, that would be compatible with their oil?

Quality oil especially synthetic has seal conditioners as part of the additive package. No additives are needed, nor recommended.

In my engine i do that. I use a good oil. But as transmission goes? ;they make an allison accepted atf that is perfect for passenger but mobil delvac team havent bothered getting certifiction like gl4 and gl5. I ll probably ignorw nissan. Seeing how many people get gransmission issue

Any new engine produced today using a quality Syn oil following manufacturer change intervals will go at least 300K miles with no additives needed.

I'm a big fan of additives, but just the ones that the manufacturers put in their oil.

Whatever ExxonMobil adds to the base of Mobil 1 sure seems to work great for me.

Prior to joining BITOG, I was (am) a user of Tufoil. Based upon this site, I was thinking the engine would likely implode, but our Camry had 350,000 miles (donated to charity) and our Lexus has 210,000 miles on it. If the Tufoil does cause problems, I will report back with that fact; however, my use since the late 90s -- no problems to report.

As always, YMMV.

Well, mine started leaking a little at the rear main after using synthetic for about 90k (I got the vehicle at 75k) so I put 4 quarts of Castrol high mileage and 1 quart of Lucus and in about 4k the oil leak has all but stopped.

Now, I'm wanting to go back to synthetic plus add a quart of the Lucus which I think that's what I'll do since Lucus says their product is compatible with full synthetic.

Yeah, I agree that installing new gaskets is the best thing to do but this engine still runs perfectly at 170k so I'm not interested in pulling the tranny to install a new rear main seal unless my little experiment with the Lucus doesn't work and since it appears to be working out OK... why jack with it now?

Maybe some of you other guys are made of money or have a lot of time to be doing repairs out in your drive way, but I don't. I run my own business and have little time for this sort of thing and I certainly don't want to pay to have it done as long as the Lucus approach is working out.

Sorry to hear Lucus is snake oil... apparently snake oil works pretty good sometimes. I certainly slowed my leaks down to wear it's now almost gone and will probably be totally gone before much longer.

The Castrol HM probably took care of the leak, the Lucas only removed a few extra dollars from your wallet.

MOS2 is the only additive I use, and I have had good results using Maxlife on older vehicles with minor leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back